Itchy feet - what would you buy?

GUT

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do see an Alfa 105 in my future. I like everything about this one, except the price:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-1600-1973/SSE-AD-4217225/?Cr=0

28-06-09_1508_zps414ff440.jpg

I owned this for 30 + years, Mechanically as tough as old boots but heartbreakingly feeble in it`s ability to maintain structural integrity.After two bare metal resprays,the last one costing more than the car was worth and bubbles and rust coming through for the third time it was time to go.

If you enjoy a good handling car, with a bit of poke thats a little different, what about a Series 8 RX7?

I owned one previously and its the only car I regret letting go. I have also driven a lot of super cars and high end stuff through working at a race track. There's not much that handles the way they do when setup right.

If it was down the old school theme, GT40 everyday for me. Have loved those since I was a little fella.

I was inspied watching the GT racing this morning.

How about an R8?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Audi-R8-2008/OAG-AD-12548540

yes, that goes on the list. Prices are getting closer

If you enjoy a good handling car, with a bit of poke thats a little different, what about a Series 8 RX7?

I owned one previously and its the only car I regret letting go. I have also driven a lot of super cars and high end stuff through working at a race track. There's not much that handles the way they do when setup right.

If it was down the old school theme, GT40 everyday for me. Have loved those since I was a little fella.

I haven't driven a series 8 rx7 - worth checking out I think

I was inspied watching the GT racing this morning.

How about an R8?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Audi-R8-2008/OAG-AD-12548540

If you are considering the R8 you could look at something like this. The price is starting to push a bit higher, but at least you would have a manual.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lamborghini-Gallardo-2004/SSE-AD-3897806/?Cr=2

I still would go for the DeTomaso though as the classics aren't going to lose you money and the maintenance wouldn't be as crazy.

If you are considering the R8 you could look at something like this. The price is starting to push a bit higher, but at least you would have a manual.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lamborghini-Gallardo-2004/SSE-AD-3897806/?Cr=2

I still would go for the DeTomaso though as the classics aren't going to lose you money and the maintenance wouldn't be as crazy.

Lambos scare me. As in services that cost more than my daily driver is worth.

The Pantera is just sooo much cooler too.

With 3 IB cars, I find myself spending way too much time every week trawling through carsales, gumtree, forums, eBay etc etc looking for something that would be a fitting replacement for one of my babies.

So, what would you swap out of a lovely little Aussie delivered '86 Carrera wide-body (not original but all metal) with MAF kit, chip, SSI's (and all original bits) with books and receipts for?

I need help!

Here's a list of potential candidates - though some need to be crossed off as I don't want to be forking out too much in addition to sales proceeds.

• '68-'69 Dodge Charger
  • DeTomaso Pantera
  • 996TT
  • 996 GT3
  • BMW M3 - basically any model but I like the E30
  • SLK55
  • SL55
  • AM Vanquish
  • Bolwell Nagari
  • Esky
  • RX3
  • Viper
  • Mustang Fastback
  • Exige
  • Ultima
  • the list goes on

Hey Gut , we have 3 x fastbacks in the family and looked at a Detomaso a few years back . Can speak for these cars in detail . I think a nice fastback is a great addition if done right . You will have change if you move the 3.2 . We are completing a 69 RS Camaro currently with a new crate engine and trans . This will be a very fun car to drive when its done to say the least with enough go & stop to really enjoy. Pantera`s have gone a bit stupid in pricing of late as there were 3 on carsales which sat for ages for around 70K. Personally out of your list I would pick either a Pantera or if you can get one a 996 GT3 but in saying so if you want to swap for a ripper fastback in amazing condition already converted with perfect body and paint let me know :lol:

@Steve88 - sounds like a cool family!

I watched those Panteras - I think 2 were yellow. Panteras have all but disappeared and when they come up they're for ridiculous prices. Importing seems like the only viable option.

I'd be interested to hear more about the fastback :)

@Steve88 - sounds like a cool family!

I watched those Panteras - I think 2 were yellow. Panteras have all but disappeared and when they come up they're for ridiculous prices. Importing seems like the only viable option.

I'd be interested to hear more about the fastback :)

Spencer Harrison has had one, not sure if he still has it but maybe worth a call if your looking in that direction. 

CLK63 Black @$145k in Melbourne on carsales... What's the going rate for these?

25 grand in two or three years

Err unlikley.

It really depends on what you want to do with the car, the 996TT is the best all rounder on the list you've got.

Merc's and especially AMG Merc's are expensive to run and the consumables are very expensive (we've had 5 of them) and a few SLKs along the way.

M3's are great, I'd go for a 6MT E46 out of the M3 range - last 6 cylinder and the S54 is a great donk.

The Aston will be worth something long term - I've got a soft spot for these though, that's what I'd get if you didn't fancy a 6TT

I have driven a lot of the older 4 cylinder supercharged Lotus Exige S they really are a fun little drivers car both on the track and road , you can pick a good one up for around $60K well worth a look   ...:D

2010_lotus_exige_cup_260_100227331_l.jpg

Yup - all the latest suggestions are good ones. I've always had a soft spot for the Lotus Esprit.

I was looking at Exiges just before I bought my first Porsche. Still like them.

Lancia Delta Integrale and the Stratos both take me back to my days of playing Sega Rally in the dodgy amusement parlours on Russell St back in the day - that's where I first used my forum name 'GUT'. I'd lean towards the Stratos.

Vanquish - even just for the name!

I gave the sacrificial lamb a wash today and went for a drive. She's pretty and I'd miss her - so the replacement will have to be be good!

Vanquish is a good name, Interceptor is a great name.

On the subject of AM's, I drove a Rapide recently.  Sublime.  If you needed a four door...

If the only condition for having an AM is dragging a couple extra doors and seats around, I guess I'd be ok with that. Just need another couple of mortgages.

Is aircon a deal breaker? Some of the proffered are not exactly summer cars, unless you like growing tomatoes in your vehicle.

Nah - four of my cars are particularly uncomfortable in summer - but when you don't know any better, it's not so bad.

Archived