Cayman S IMS failure - first real evidence I have seen

Mike D'Silva

Would that be a 2006ish model Mike?

It would. The car in the picture is a 987.1 from 2005 to 2008. That's the first I've ever seen of an actual IMS failure on a Cayman. As the seller says, that version of the M97 has to have its case split to replace /upgrade the bearing.

Yep, separate filter that goes into the reused canister:  http://www.masterparts.com.au/p/5674541/oil-filter-kit-996-107-225-53.html

So if the engine is only shedding a little metal you may not notice it in the drained oil but you would notice the accumulation on the outside of the oil filter element medium.

So from what I understand with the 2006 to 2008 Cayman S's, while IMS bearing failure rates were around 1% there seems to be a higher reported rate of bore scoring from partial seizures.  Fact or fiction? I still can't tell but with the bulletproof post 2008 cars now down to $69k I notice today I think I'd only entertain the idea of a 987.2 or later car myself. 

• 2 months later...

While any IMS bearing can fail, the third generation IMS has a much lower failure rate than the second generation used in 2000-2004 and some 2005 cars. If it has a 1% failure rate (and I don't know if that is even the right number) then it would be 10 times less likely to fail. But build enough engines with enough parts and somehow the manufacturing variations of two parts can combine to put unplanned loads on even the bigger third generation bearings. Add in age and miles both of which are accumulating on these cars ....

Some have removed the seal on the third gen to allow more oil to penetrate and lube the bearing.

While any IMS bearing can fail, the third generation IMS has a much lower failure rate than the second generation used in 2000-2004 and some 2005 cars. If it has a 1% failure rate (and I don't know if that is even the right number) then it would be 10 times less likely to fail. But build enough engines with enough parts and somehow the manufacturing variations of two parts can combine to put unplanned loads on even the bigger third generation bearings. Add in age and miles both of which are accumulating on these cars ....

Some have removed the seal on the third gen to allow more oil to penetrate and lube the bearing.

That backs up the research I did before buying. I have no idea where the 1% figures comes from, but I know there were 31,282 Caymans produced in 2006/7. The number fell off sharply for 2008,with the USA selling just 3513 units. The '09 cars with the new motor fell off even more sharply with 1966 units (USA only). Those figures are purely Cayman, not Boxsters with the same motor. 

For 1% of Caymans (alone) to have failed, you're looking at approximately 400 cars (worldwide). Not all of those will have a moan using the internet, but you can bet at least a third would, and they would likely be in the US and UK. To my knowledge, there have been a trickle (15?) 987's (Cayman and Boxster) that have posted on the various forums having succumbed to an IMS failure or a seized motor with bore scoring,

It was clear to me that Porsche hadn't entirely solved the IMS issue with the 987, but it was also clear that after 11 years, the failure rate was so low as to not be a factor in my purchase. The '09 cars and onward undoubtedly give more piece of mind. They are also much harder to find and and approximately $20k more expensive.If you can manage that price and are patient, I would hold out for a 987.2.

If you can't stretch to 2nd gen Cayman, then you're ignoring a hell of a car for a comparatively small outlay in a 987.1. Full disclosure: I'm selling mine, and not because I'm having nightmares about seals and bores!.

Archived