LS1 GT2 911 Build

MrRPJ

Ok So a few others have said to me I should post up my build so here we go.

Now before I Start let me start off by saying the car was purchased with no interior, motor or box. The plan was to be a budget build and building what I wanted not what you think it should be.  My previous car was a Mercedes E55 the last of the Supercharged V8s. I have always loved the sound and feel of a V8 and on the same note I have always loved the times less look of the 911 so I shopped around looking for a project as I never had plans of a doing a resto.

Behold my 76 911 that came with a 993 widebody. Some of you might remember the car floating around here and now I have ended up with up it.

So the plan is to give it a GT2/RSR look but run a turbo LS1. The transaxle is a custom built one for me from a company in Sydney.

This will be purely home built and on a budget. You are all welcome to offer ideas and help on anything you think me assist. I'm open to keeping this group build I'm just not interested in any of your purist opinions.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular conversion in America with 996's.  Apparently the dimensions and size of an LS1 are not that dissimilar to a 996 motor so it hopefully shouldn't add too much weight or require cutting into the firewall of your 911.

A heap of parts to tune an LS1 and with a turbo you should be able to get some pretty decent horsepower out of the car.

I am definitely interested to watch your build and reckon you could build yourself a very nice/fast car.

Definitely keep us posted.

So have been in contact with stave at Renegade Hybrids. They do a bolt in cradle that doesn't require any cutting. My custom transaxle is actually going to be shorter then a 915 so I'll have a lot of room to move. Also the LS1 comes in a 5kgs lighter than a 3.2 motor. RWB Victoria runs a LS3 and it's a great fit. 

So I have done a little bit of shopping to get the ball rolling. First buy was a set of 996 4 piston brembos and rotors. I'm make up adapters so I can run the 318mm rotors.  

ce450ede-ca5e-4d38-94cc-0c90210c8c54.jpg

2. was a set of GT2 flares 

IMG_3556.jpg

3. was a GT2 front lip. 

4. Was a gated short shifter thanks to Sam for helping me out on this piece it's my favourite so far

IMG_3145_1.jpg

5. Was a set of 3 piece Monacos 18x9 front and 18x11 rear with 305  Pilot Sports all round  centres will be gling black

IMG_3282.jpg

6. Was my 4 point cage  

IMG_3562.jpg

7. was my custom transaxle  all brand new gear set, double syncros for 1st ,2nd and 3rd and over size ring and pinion  

IMG_3213_1.png

8. Was my billet adaptor plate for mating that trans to the LS along with a lightweight flywheel  

9. Is my white face gauge set thanks to JonnoF 

IMG_3333.jpg

10. Is my new RS carpet set I don't need rear seats. 

I still have a few things I need to locate and I'll update you all with the bits as I get them. 

Worth getting yourself a flickr/photobucket and embedding the photo via link. 

Cheers!

ok so this weekend I took to the car with many types of cutting tools and also test fitted the wheels.

This is the rear fit. 

IMG_3397.jpg

This is the front 

IMG_3557.jpg

Time for fender cutting 

IMG_3553.jpg

Also my new seats have arrived!

261111af-f435-450e-806a-a7ea63ef7284.png

Straight in front. Ill have PWR make me a custom one 1M in length 400 high and 80mm thick with alloy pipes running to the back. Quite a simple setup like a front mount intercooler set up With tripple thermos on the rear. So it should look like it has a Stock RSR oil cooler

Good to see you on here Reece. What is your transaxle based on? And I suppose on that thought what sort of power should it be able to handle? I know the 915 is not supposed to be great with a lot of torque. 

Hey Jeff  the trans is a 2011 Wrx turbo 5 speed with the rear drive unit removed and shortned. A brand new gear set was fitted along with a new pinion and ring the has the helical cut the opposite direction sine the box will be facing the other way. I had pull clutch set up fitted along with Porsche output shafts. Should be good for 400-500. Since the v8 will have a lot of torque and that's what would kill the 915. The turbo 5 is AWD the the instant torque for 4 wheels is quite great. It's be fitted with double syncros for 1st 2nd and 3rd. Hopefully it should be a nice smooth shifting along with our the fear of blowing first. 

God I love that spyker shifter. I'll prob just end up young double Uni joints and change the angle slightly

Awesome project, and one I seriously considered at one stage.

A couple of points to note I feel should be raised:

a. the SubaruGears gearboxes by all accounts are excellent and a great 915 replacement, however, the LS1 may have enough torque to destroy it in stock form, let alone with a decent intake and cam or turbo.  Subaru WRX makes about 340Nm @ 3600 rpm, and stock LS1  about 440Nm @ 4k rpm.  It will come down to how you drive it.  Full power takeoffs or side-stepping the clutch I suspect will guarantee its demise. Sensible roll-ons and it should be fine.  I know SubaruGears has fitted them to LS1's, but as Uncle pointed out to me when I was considering it, they have mostly been in sand rails and off roaders that don't have to deal with getting full traction to the ground.  I will be watching with great interest, as on paper it's an excellent choice.

b. I assume it is to be registered? If so; capacity to weight rules preclude any chance of registering a V8 with a turbo in a 911.  I'd consider setting it up so the turbo can be fitted for events / shenanigans, and removed for the rest of the time.  The capacity to weight rules will cause an argument around V8 conversions with the authorities even if the LS1 makes less power than a 930. Get your gloves ready!  I'm sure you're well aware already, but for those playing at home here's some important reading for anyone considering a road registered conversion: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx

I'm looking forward to the project progress!!

b. I assume it is to be registered? If so; capacity to weight rules preclude any chance of registering a V8 with a turbo in a 911.  I'd consider setting it up so the turbo can be fitted for events / shenanigans, and removed for the rest of the time.

Or at least get it registered with just the LS1 and fit the turbos afterwards ;) 

Haha Just as jeff said. That was the plan. 

1 For ease of the initail build without having to worry about tuning gremlins ect. Get the car running and rego in basic form then once its good go the upgrade. 

2 Your above post has good points. But the way I see it is G50 is a no go due to the mods needed and cost. When I spoke to Todd at subaru gears and spoke with him at length about my plans he did his best to build me something the best of his ability. He added in an oversize ring and pinion with bouble bearings and double syncros on 1,2 and 3. With the rear drive unit removed it should take some load of the gearset. I guess time will tell but for now the one they made 2 years ago for thr DMC LS1 Delorean has held up quite well and as I see it its cheaper than a clapped out 915, nicer to drive and replacemant parts are everywhere and 1/5 the cost. 

I was considering doing youtube videos as I find them a good soouce of info but Jeffs would make mine look bad. And mine would be more like "B is for build" which I still enjoy watching so let me knoe if its something you wanna see? 

Awesome! 

If it all works out, I'll be using one in the future for sure :)

I'd also suggest using the stock LS1 ECU initially with a MAFless tune. They are a robust thing and very tuneable.  You won't need to upgrade it until you go turbo, and even then it'll only be for ease of setting up extra features.  it'll also help a lot in initial registration.

Videos are good. Are you planning on doing full racing events, or just trackdays etc?

Ok So a few others have said to me I should post up my build so here we go.

Now before I Start let me start off by saying the car was purchased with no interior, motor or box. The plan was to be a budget build and building what I wanted not what you think it should be.  My previous car was a Mercedes E55 the last of the Supercharged V8s. I have always loved the sound and feel of a V8 and on the same note I have always loved the times less look of the 911 so I shopped around looking for a project as I never had plans of a doing a resto.

Behold my 76 911 that came with a 993 widebody. Some of you might remember the car floating around here and now I have ended up with up it.

So the plan is to give it a GT2/RSR look but run a turbo LS1. The transaxle is a custom built one for me from a company in Sydney.

This will be purely home built and on a budget. You are all welcome to offer ideas and help on anything you think me assist. I'm open to keeping this group build I'm just not interested in any of your purist opinions.

IMG_1933.jpg

Reece, great to see you posting on the forum!

Awesome and ambitious project! 

I look forward to seeing what you do with my old car. It's going to be an absolute bloody monster.

Have you already go your engine?  Am keen to see photos.

I will continue to wait with bated breath until your next instalment. 

9. Is my white face gauge set thanks to JonnoF 

IMG_3333.jpg

Glad to help mate!

I'm still chasing George for that missing black speedo he promised me. Let me know if you find one in your travels as I am in the market for one.

Archived