LS1 GT2 911 Build

MrRPJ

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought a lot about doing that but. That meant custom everything. Im on a tight time line and the extra cost was going to be huge. the ls1 can be tuned and have all immoblisers removed for $300 and will run as stand alone. The porsche v8 would need a new haltech and lots of time and money. If i was going to keep it german i was looking at going the 55 motor 5.5 supercharged the same as my E class AMG. but same issues Cost. I think once the 911 is done ill keep it for a while and see how I like it. I still really want An SL55 tho

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys Sorry for the lack of uploading. I was trying to get some Youtube vids set up but I have been limited with time and weather as I still have not made enough room in the shed to get the car in and have room to work around it as my old man has his 34 Coupe hot rod build going on. Anyways Ill try get something up asap the footage wont be super great so dont expect Homebuilt by Jeff quality lol But more just a day to day Vlog of whats going on. 

So Anyways here is the updates. 

Gearbox here you can see the custom Sti box next to the porsche box. Good size just the shifter out put is on the top which will be an easy work around. 

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Next pic is installed in a 912 ill go the same route. 

IMG_3678.jpg

Now rather than have the shifter link run in the tunnel it will run on top. Ill either fit a console or just roll some sheet metal and have a nice carpet higher tunnel. Or i could paint it and leave it exposed did someone say Spyker lol. Ill make a shifter extension the same and just shorted my shifter length if its to high. 

IMG_3679.jpg

Next job I started to tackle making the changes to the cage. I removed the dynamat where im going to weld my plates. And start welding tube. 

IMG_3643.jpgIMG_3648.jpg

I tell ya this shit was a pain to remove Super sticky and sharp like a torn coke can. But im glad the car had it as the LS1 will be loud!!

IMG_3650.jpg

Half way shot. 

Now lastly I installed the rear fenders and started mocking up the fronts. 

IMG_3607.jpgIMG_3669.jpgIMG_3673.jpg

After a long night we have 1.9m width! 

IMG_3676.jpg

More updates to follow this week!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished welding the cage today and my adaptor plate and lightweight flywheel arrived today along with my sexy new box!

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

Next job will be to make custom mounts to mount my calipers and make new brake lines 

Your cage looks very short? It would probably protect my head in a roll over, but I am 4 foot tall ;) 

As for the Dynamat. I have been doing a heap of research, and there are some good threads on sound deadening on Pelican where uber nerd sound engineers have been doing it. Apparently with Dynamat (or similar) you only need 25-40% coverage over large flat areas to absorb vibrations, it doesn't actually stop the transfer of sound very well so any more is just adding weight without stopping much sound. Apparently over that you need MLV (mass loaded vinyl) or similar which is separated from the surface by a foam layer. I believe that a similar system is used in the Singers. I will be doing that sort of system on mine. 

Hey Jeff

Oh no the cage is just sitting there. If you look close you can see the mounts on the back up about 10 inches. With out the bolts it slides down super easy and I got sick of holding it up. 

As for the dynamat it was in the car when i got it and it didnt really worry me as ill be carpeting over it any ways. I had a friend add it to his and it seemed to work really well.  Hopefully it stops a little bit of sound plus the car will vibrate a fair bit with a big v8 with a cam. Ill be running a lightweight RS carpet kit. I was thinking of running big mufflers to make it silent and add electric bypasses for when i want it loud. that way sound will never be an issue. With the flick of the switch I can creep and night or go balls out on the track. Have you looked at Dynapad its made by the dynamat people but it had a dual layer foam. It could be just what your after. I know when i close my doors compared to my friends 911 mine feels really solid and has that hard thud sound as to his which feels light and hollow and tinny. 

From what I have read it seems to be the go to choice for a lot 911s. We can compare at Rennspeed next year haha 

DSCF08751246496903.jpgDSCF000513411679531346174470.jpgSOUNDPROOFING0021261789682.jpgDynamax11266244567.jpg

Now I see with the cage. I had the same issue with mine sliding down while I was playing with it. I ended up cutting pieces of wood the right size to hold it in place while I worked with it. Are you considering adding a harness bar to the cage?

For the sound deadening, I am planning on using something like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Builders-Mass-Noise-Liner-MLV-acoustic-foam-carpet-underlay-noise-barrier-/161899630550?hash=item25b1f84fd6:g:1DoAAOSwHQ9WWErR

But I will probably sew it to the carpet pieces and velcro it in, so that I can remove it for track days easily ;). I plan on using mine for a daily driver and I am getting precious in my old age :D 

Unfortunately Rennsport is every 3 years (I think) so the next one would be in 2019 :( 

Interesting. Have a look at this stuff http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

Yeah, that is all looking at the same concept. This https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ goes through the basic theories. Basically first you lay down CLD tiles (dynamat), then CCF (closed cell foam), which basically just keeps from transmitting the vibrations through to the next layer, MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl). The issue is, the MLV needs to be heavy. It is around 1lb per square foot (or around 5kg's per Metre). It is interesting, and I will be trying it out to see how well it works.

Ill be interested to see how well it works and lets be honest here you will be finished before I am. So if its that good ill add it to mine. As for weight im not to worried 400hp should be enough to pull that extra bit around. As for the harness bar you mentioned. I thought about it and thought 2 things. 1 with out I have enough room to put an over night bag/carry back there and secondly I was looking at running Corbeau 3 point harnesses that are RETRACTABLE!!! how cool is that, freedom to move and harnesses and when you wanna track it you can lock the retractor. have a look. http://corbeau.com/other/harness-belts/3-point-retractable-harness-belt.html  it also means I can use the mount on the parcel shelf i already have. 

Also Anyone have a spare gearbox mount?? 

Please do some research into submarineing with three and four point harnesses before going ahead with that stuff.

I was about to say the same thing. Either go the whole hog or keep the factory, 3 and 4 will kill you before they save you. It should be illegal to sell them.

Aww man Well that shatters that dream. So 5 point or nothing? I thought camlock 5 points were a nono nowadays with dept of transport qld?  Also how different is the above harness to a sparco 4 point?

4 point are just as bad. The main issue is that in a frontal impact, with the 3 and 4 you are likely to slide down under the belt. Where as the factory lap sash belt tightens on your hips (where you want the load to take up) when your torso moves forwards. 3 and 4 point don't tighten at your hips so you are likely to slide down and then suffer from abdominal and soft tissue injuries. 5 and 6 point have the straps between the legs which stop you sliding down. You may have issues using a harness on the streets, I am not sure of the rules in Qld (or NSW for that matter). I will probably have both, the factory lap sash and a 5 point which I can use on the track. I assume, like with the roll cage and removal of the back seats, you need to get them engineered to be legal on the road.

That retractable harness would not be Cams legal anyway I wouldn't think.

Leave your lap sash in for street and put eye bolts in that you can clip the harness into when you need it. Have the the crotch strap/buckle permanently mounted and just pull it up through the seat when you need to use the harness.

Image result for racing harness 5 point

Reece, I've been using that Corbeau 3 Point retractable for about 3 months on the street and i can confirm that it's a piece of sh*t. it doesn't feel safe at all so i'll be throwing it out.

Its Been a slow week. Got the cage finished and the car stripped and all glass out. I have started the long task of sanding!  I did a quick visit To home built by jeff to pick the wing off his 911 but it doesnt fit so back to reparing my clubsport evo wing. 

IMG_3861.jpgIMG_3881.jpg

Ill finish making my seat adapters tonight. 

Also on my mad hunt for rust im glad to say besides 2 tiny holes the only rust i found was under the rubber on the cowl 

Its Been a slow week. Got the cage finished and the car stripped and all glass out. I have started the long task of sanding!  I did a quick visit To home built by jeff to pick the wing off his 911 but it doesnt fit so back to reparing my clubsport evo wing. 

IMG_3861.jpgIMG_3881.jpg

Ill finish making my seat adapters tonight. 

Also on my mad hunt for rust im glad to say besides 2 tiny holes the only rust i found was under the rubber on the cowl 

What happened? How bad is the fit? Any pics, sorry mate.

Archived