LS1 GT2 911 Build

MrRPJ

SEATS! Im not to sure if ill keep these in or go to something like a sparco 2000 pro. Being 6.1 I might need something thats almost sitting on the floor! Has anyone got some 2000 pros installed that can tell me how they are for head room? 

I wish I'd seen this earlier! But at least you've confirmed what I have in mind for the rx2 :)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEATS! Im not to sure if ill keep these in or go to something like a sparco 2000 pro. Being 6.1 I might need something thats almost sitting on the floor! Has anyone got some 2000 pros installed that can tell me how they are for head room? 

Hi MrRJP,

I'm 6'2"and had the head height problem with a helmet on. Having used both sparco and GT3 seats  I found 2 tricks helped most.

1. I still used the sliding rails but very carefully kept the seat mounts as low as possible(very fiddly to do up nuts and bolts but you can gain 20mm+ on standard bolt holes) this made the cabin liveable for the day to day.

2. Take the cushions out and site on the base for track days with Helmet on. works well for height and you will feel the car more.

cheers

Hi MrRJP,

I'm 6'2"and had the head height problem with a helmet on. Having used both sparco and GT3 seats  I found 2 tricks helped most.

1. I still used the sliding rails but very carefully kept the seat mounts as low as possible(very fiddly to do up nuts and bolts but you can gain 20mm+ on standard bolt holes) this made the cabin liveable for the day to day.

2. Take the cushions out and site on the base for track days with Helmet on. works well for height and you will feel the car more.

cheers

I am interested in the 20mm gain with the rails, can you please explain or show us some pictures. I mounted my seats directly without the slide rails

Hi MrRJP,

cheers

I am interested in the 20mm gain with the rails, can you please explain or show us some pictures. I mounted my seats directly without the slide rails

I have a small rust repair to do in my next video and welding the mount in for my pedal box and I'm going to add seats to the list. After playing around in there I need more room so I have decided to change the seat mounts from a plate to a floor mount and keep the sliders I have worked out I should get between 2-3" of extra head room. Ill film it and show you how I do it 

• 2 months later...

Ok so I have cut out my factory seat mounts and made new ones and welded them in over the weekend. I gained about 3" of head room which doesn't sound like much but made a world of differance to where my knees meet the dash.  

oXezFXc.jpg

Got most of the car in high fill 

CKugWU1.jpg

1GIH8Bd.jpg

p8SXePn.jpgJlwfzUT.jpg

I got new plates for the car 

BUOgK77.jpg

My turbo fender extensions arrived but I still need a Left hand fender and not finding one is driving me nuts!!!!!

sHQnJcB.jpg

Starting to fit up the extensions which turned up to be a prick of a job as there is no templates as to where it needs to sit. 

ferrG9l.jpg

I brought a jeep radiator and the fit is perfect. it fits the front bar like it was made for it. 

6wohXGw.jpg

and i think once its complete this wrap will be the perfect touch!

i7K4sYe.jpg

its all ready to go. i have the engine, box,clutch and adapter plate. once the body work is done and the car is painted and i start to put it back together ill have more room to start on the motor. Im also going to rewire the whole car with a universal late model 22 circuit kit 

I finally found a left fender. Its being shipped from the USA and will be here next week. now ill be able to hopefully have it painted this month 

• 3 months later...

Small update. I had a delay on the left fender. the one I found he decided the shipping was too expensive and pull the plug on me after 3 weeks of stuffing around. So I ended up finding a mint NOS fender but as my luck would have it. It was Run over by a forklift and pancaked the nose. Lucky for me I know when I'm outta my depth and I didn't want any filler in the nose of the fenders as they do hold the bumper and take a bit of flex and a crack was the last thing I wanted. lucky for me I know an amazing metal guy who file finished the finder to brand new. 

This is before

k7MNaFG.jpg

After. 

t4o5lcg.jpg

Now that was sorted I could move onto fitting the turbo extensions. This what I thought would be an easy job turned into a nightmare. But you can see I got them fitted with the help of the Co. whos a gun with the tig. while we were at it I did a indicator delete. 

gXbfiwA.jpg

I finished the last of the rust repairs on the doors and got them in highfill as well 

fOCLFhC.jpg

I got my roll cage back from the power coaters and im pretty happy with how it turned out for my first time. 

PNVnOMb.jpg

I got my plate welded in and my tilton pedal box installed. 

qkUePgH.jpg

Im still unsure if the wheel centres should stay silver or go gloss black. 

9gPPAaI.jpg

sanding sanding and more sanding. getting it down to 800

raOV5K8.jpg?1

Paint arrived 

XNPHs6H.jpg

I started the last test fit and wasnt happy with a small bit so i changed it. 

KPTzUtm.jpg

WCN9PYG.jpg

This corner needed more trimming out

EsCQp0C.jpg

the air dam for the radiator is done 

Et06ejU.jpg

shout out to the old man for helping out for the day

UuCSR5t.jpg

my mint right fender. ditching the fiberglass was the best thing i ever did no more cracking worries or worries from people leaning on it when your not around, the front feels so much more sturdy now too  

rJVfqA4.jpg

By By shit box fiberglass!  it was a big hassle and really big cost to change the fenders but i feel it was worth it as ill be keeping more genuine parts on the car  

yQw1Prk.jpg

maybe when the backdate thing dies down in 10 years I might change it to a back date and add an air cooled motor for my 40s haha i plan on keeping it for a while and the base can be changed so many ways and have so many looks i think this one is here to stay. Next stop is paint. I have all of these updates on video I just haven't got around to editing as I had to go to Europe for a month for work and China for a few weeks which threw a spanner in the works.but ill be back to normal over the christmas break. 

Yep where that dip is, is part of bracket that’s not on. It will sit flat once bolted down. Radiator should be back this week. From fabrication. I made a few changes and added some brackets and moved some outlets to make it work better 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok So i have been pretty busy over the last week or so I got the roof liner in 

80-dzfhv14_25c13dac22f2969a3fdbbb3ecb68e

i got the decklid and wing on 

80-s3bkixn_cd0bbe19457f087bff11307be52f7

I painted my gated shiter 

80-lslhxet_9b233fc36c31076546d1b21c2319a

i got my fuel tank in 

80-nncwtgc_971b7b43e1150598a2248f852ce3d

i got the rear bar on 

80-9m4k3cp_64889f2b966714e6fbe40d42625b3

Radiator installed Because LS

80-dakbca8_937ba93ae1d4c9974683df6e012ef

Door glass and rear flares on 

80-vnazmlo_87311ab1b77e7858b1925597bff8c

rear quarter glass in 

80-bhlftdu_e0dcf407e95beacfdd40f392c86ab

Back window in 

80-po04by7_2447ac3b1d9780049052396780a9c

rool cage and RS carpet kit in 

80-atvp1v2_fe954d8a101c66e19f915284584f4

Im pretty happy with how the roll cage turn out. It was my first time ever making one. More to come as i keep assembling 

80-kwic5nw_27393cb24cdd077728df291853a7b

Just now, LeeM said:

Good work mate. Liking that gated shifter especially 

Yeah its one of my favourites. I just hope it will work with STi Transaxle and that the rotation is enough at the shifter to match the box 

12 minutes ago, MrRPJ said:

Yeah its one of my favourites. I just hope it will work with STi Transaxle and that the rotation is enough at the shifter to match the box 

If not, you know who to call to relieve you of it! ??

Just been reading about them on Pelican Parts forum, as I'd never seen one for a 915 box. 

I can't believe you've turned my old roller into this thing of beauty!!!! I hope I can say the same of @P-Kay shortly! ;) 

What's happening with the LS1? Have you fabbed up all the mounting hardware, etc? What needs to be altered to fit her in the tiny engine bay? Keen to know more...

Haha thanks mate. Oh, so it was @P-Kay that brought klassssssy. I was keen to see what happened to the purple beast. 

The motor will fit pretty easily. it's actually smaller and lighter than a 3.2. For the mounting I'm just going to copy the renegade hybrid design. the only difference is my shifter will come out just above the tunnel like this one as the Subaru box is slightly different. It will be the same concept as the hargett shifter. 

alMYFpA.jpg

This is where my subaru box out put will be. 

JkgIwhf.jpg

KoVYWgu.jpg

qet3TGM.jpg

This would be the only shifter I would give up may gated shifter for as it would mean the shifter bar would go straight to the subaru output 

Archived