Barney - old, fat & grey #84rney

• 1 month later...

So had to get the auto electrician to come back in and reinstall the electricals and get an auto trimmer guy to come back and install my new headliner. Left it to the pros as the last thing i want is a saggy headliner... reinstalled the interior and the body guys fitted up all the panels. Unfortunately when the glass was taken out, the moldings were bent so hunted around for a windshield guy that would be willing to take it on and smooth out the bends. No luck so far... 

That last bit aside, car got buffed out and loaded onto the tow truck today to make the trip up to Gosford to get the drive train installed as well as a few other bits to be completed. My mechanic reckons he knows someone that can fit up the windshield without having to buy new moldings so fingers crossed.

First time Barney has seen the sky in almost 2 years and hopefully the last time he'll be on a tow truck! (doubt it...)

Resized_20171121_105416_2474

Resized_20171121_105634_5829

Resized_20171121_105645_6781

17 hours ago, privatepang said:

Unfortunately when the glass was taken out, the moldings were bent so hunted around for a windshield guy that would be willing to take it on and smooth out the bends. No luck so far... 

Just a thought, but maybe you could try a paintless dent removal guy to get the mouldings straight again. You will still need to fit the window yourself, or get a window guy to do it afterwards though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Since the last update, car was towed up to Autowerks in Wyong where they are doing all the mechanicals. Simon has been great to deal with and I highly recommend their shop

Under fender front oil cooler has been installed. Although most RSR builds have the front mounted coolers, I personally prefer cleaner ST style front bar so went with this option.

P1130641

Being a 75, had to source a set of used oil lines as well

P1130640

We also made the decision to go with adjustable rear spring plates to avoid the effort of mucking around with torsion bar adjustment

P1130653

I have no photos of the wiring but the loom had to be extended so the motec could be stored in the cabin rather than in the engine bay. Once that was done, heat soak padding and engine bay matt was installed and the new motor was fitted

P1130866

Kids came to see Barney for the first time in the shop and were super excited. Race muffler that came with the engine was trial fitted but call was made to get a new replacement as I prefer dual pipes and am worried this race exhaust would be excessively loud. I'll be putting it up for sale in the coming weeks if anyone's interested

P1130869

Opted to go with the Dansk sports muffler. Looks awesome and waiting for some metal straps! Simon had to make some adaptors to get it to fit with my headers.

IMG-20180326-WA0003

IMG-20180328-WA0004

My starter motor needed upgrading too so ordered the high torque starter from Rebel Racing which should have enough juice. Also had to order replacement flanges for my rebuilt gearbox so that I can re use my half shafts. After that, there will a few little things but hopefully only a few weeks from getting Barney back on the road. It's been a long 2 years but i'm sure it'll be all worth it soon enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So June update, interior is mostly installed. Running majority of it naked. Flange on my rebuilt 84 gearbox doesn't match up with my half shafts so we had to get them sent away to get them modified and waiting on that prior to a tune. I have those uncommon self leveling struts as well so the new inserts I bought don't fit... thinking of a cost effective solution to this.. mostly likely scenario will be to get Koni to modify them to suit as you can't buy the required inserts anymore. Latest ETA will be next month! Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

So car is pretty much done but still needs a tune. I couldn't wait and went for a short test drive to just get a feel for it. Going to be interesting post tune as car currently doesn't like it under 3000 rpms. Will need to get used to driving it all over again and hopefully not burning out the clutch lol

• 3 weeks later...

Barney's finally home. Been a long 2 years but was all worth it when I put my foot down and felt the difference. As Simon @ Autowerks put it, Barney is cranky on idle but comes alive on the revs. Few niggly bits to get sorted out but at least he's driving.

242c8805-8e26-4446-bb11-166cd1dbdc00

26 minutes ago, privatepang said:

Barney's finally home. Been a long 2 years but was all worth it when I put my foot down and felt the difference. As Simon @ Autowerks put it, Barney is cranky on idle but comes alive on the revs. Few niggly bits to get sorted out but at least he's driving.

242c8805-8e26-4446-bb11-166cd1dbdc00

Love the colour! What Diameter rims are they?

25 minutes ago, privatepang said:

Yep we were there. Brought the whole family with scooters prams etc in the frunk. 

Kids were more enamoured by the face painting than the awesome cars there :D

Mine too... Although they enjoyed the free flags, X-box racing game and $20 toy cars!