privatepang

Barney - old, fat & grey #84rney

On 9/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Has there been anything like the Sydney event in Melbourne?

Yep. 20 years ago for the 20th celebration.

So it's taken a while to get a tune done as I ran out of budget but took a long time debating if I should save up  to replace the 20 year old Motec M8 or to fine someone to tune it. In the end, found Phil Armour from Armour Motorsports and he mentioned he learnt how to tune back in the 90s on the M8  and it would be good enough to run my car. Ended up taking the car to him back in July and he was shocked at the way the car drove pre-tune. Suffice to say, post tune, car drives more way nicer rather than a grumpy rotary. Night and day. I do miss the race car like burble but its so much smoother now and power is way more linear. Highly recommend Phil as he's a no bs type a guy and super knowledgeable. 

Power unfortunately wasn't quite what i was expecting but i think i had crank HP in my mind instead of ATW power and end of the day car has more power than i need right now. Making 228 HP ATW , 200 FtLb Torque

Dyno 10_07_19.jpg

4 hours ago, privatepang said:

Power unfortunately wasn't quite what i was expecting but i think i had crank HP in my mind instead of ATW power and end of the day car has more power than i need right now. Making 228 HP ATW , 680 FtLb Torque

Nick,

Don't sweat the numbers as the Yanks often quote Dynojet numbers which are very liberal and often then add 15% to the wheel reading to indicate a crank number.  Very disheartening if you are wanting to compare a Mainline reading for example.  At the end of that day, if it goes like a rocket, it is!

Oh, you might find your torque figure is actually closer to 200ftlb rather that 680....

PS: Still think this is the best titled thread on PFA! 

15 hours ago, Peter M said:

Nick,

Don't sweat the numbers as the Yanks often quote Dynojet numbers which are very liberal and often then add 15% to the wheel reading to indicate a crank number.  Very disheartening if you are wanting to compare a Mainline reading for example.  At the end of that day, if it goes like a rocket, it is!

Oh, you might find your torque figure is actually closer to 200ftlb rather that 680....

Ah woops! Thanks for the pick up. Appreciate the feedback

That looks like a decent power output at the wheels. Remind me what the engine is again?

2 hours ago, MFX said:

That looks like a decent power output at the wheels. Remind me what the engine is again?

3.2 twin plug

The 3 stud inlet stubs makes it look like its got 964 heads.  Have the 3.2 head inlets been re-drilled?

On 03/10/2019 at 18:47, Peter M said:

Nick,

as one user put it when describing "US horsepower"
" USHP originated in the United States, hence the US, but over time, through the internet and instant global communication, its use has spread widely around the globe. Although often perceived as a unit of measurement, USHP can best be described as a variable, as there is no fixed conversion factor of USHP to kW, PS or HP.

The convention of shortening the unit “USHP” to simply “HP” in written and oral communication leads to further confusion, since 1USHP is never equal to 1HP. In most cases it’s possible to determine if the power described is USHP or HP from the geographical source of the given measurement; if the source is located within North America it will most likely be a figure in USHP, even though it is reported as HP. If the source is outside of North America, then further assessment may be required to determine the actual units being used.

Attempting to establish an approximate conversion of USHP to HP can be problematic, since the USHP is indeed a variable, and there are many factors that influence the final numbers presented as a measurement.

A comparative survey of published dynamometer results from North America (confirmed to be USHP), compared to those from Australia, Germany and the United Kingdom, (confirmed to be HP), for comparable engines and vehicles, in both modified and un-modified states, has shown a considerably wide range of variation. Whilst it is difficult to plot a trend that encompasses all influencing factors, variations as slight as 1USHP = 0.96HP, right up to 1USHP = 0.68HP, have been observed."

🤣

If the yanks can’t work out what a meter is,  how can they be expected to be able to calculate horsepower 🙄

On 04/10/2019 at 19:23, Peter M said:

The 3 stud inlet stubs makes it look like its got 964 heads.  Have the 3.2 head inlets been re-drilled?

To be honest, i have no idea whether it was re drilled. Bought the motor in it's current configuration.