Does anyone in the PFA Brains Trust have some hard data on recent 928 sales - say, in the last six months? There are quite a few on carsales but most have been sitting for yonks. I'd also appreciate estimates for the vehicle below (based on the limited info I have at the moment): @ANF, @tazzieman, @Diamond911, @KGB and anyone else that would care to chime in - all comments appreciated.

A friend is considering putting his 1987 928 S4 auto up for sale. It has a solid service history, lower-than-average kms and the body work seems in good condition. The interior could do with some attention. It's had a recent belt service. I have yet to ascertain whether it's all original, unmodified, first paint, accident-free, etc. Cheers.

The market has dried up to some degree. When I bought mine about 6 years ago car sales had on average 30-35 928s of various varieties and year models up for sale. These days it's around 15 for sale on average and some are residual shitboxes that will never move. 

Really hard to say without seeing the car or pictures. Good cars are selling off market. I think really good S4s are in the 30's with regards to final sale price. Rare stock cars with low kms and full history will command higher dollars into the 40's. 

These are still a niche car with a limited market. That might change now that air cooled cars are asking stupid money. 

I'd concur with @Ozvino in regard to pricing on good S4's being in the 30's.  Of course condition, maintenance history, color combo, level of modification are all factors.  It does seem that many a/c owners are looking at a 928 as a reasonably economic way to purchase another and different Porsche experience.  I would guess that there are a handful of PFAers waiting for their perfect 928 to come up...

Having a quick look at Carsales, across the 928 spectrum, it seems that there are 3-4 cars that seem to be in great shape but are chasing silly premiums, also some high km stuff that is always hard to shift, a couple of imports, a couple of dodgies, and a couple of good cars reasonably priced.

I would tend to think that any 928 on Carsales would change hands at least -10-20% off asking if it isn't snapped up in the first couple of weeks.  At least that is what I've heard regarding a couple of sales.

Agree that an S4 should sell in the numbers mentioned above. A bad or less than perfect interior could bring that down a bit, hard to know without seeing.

Unfortunately most 928s appear to be over priced at present, the market asking prices shifted dramatically in reaction to 911 prices but I don't think we are ready for those prices as yet - most noticeably the pre 86 models. These seem to sit for a long time.... S4s and above still command a premium in 928 terms and the S's are still lagging. Carsales at the moment seems to be like a waiting room for 928s......

A lot still appear to go "off market" so pinning down an exact trend is difficult. I bought mine very cheaply, going by what is being asked now, and it needed a few things fixing.

Having said all that, it is still a mystery to me why a car like this has not sold, is there more to it?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1988/SSE-AD-4208195/?Cr=5

Most recent sale I am aware of is $57,500 for a 95 local delivered 928GTS with just over 100,000 on the clock, history and nothing to spend.

See my thread in stuff for sale.  

I will say this was a prime example and the buyer very lucky to find such a good combo. 

I wonder if it's the turbo twist wheels? I look at that and think modified even though it's only wheels 

Could be, it would be a $2k to $#k "fix" if you wanted to change it back to original, and I would. Car has the wrong offset with those wheels, plus would look better with manhole covers or D90s.

Could be, it would be a $2k to $#k "fix" if you wanted to change it back to original, and I would. Car has the wrong offset with those wheels, plus would look better with manhole covers or D90s.

Adam

I don't think the advert write up does it any favours and makes it sound like a money pit as he doesn't explain why he's probably spent 7 or 8 grand on it but has it now up for sale.  Looks the goods though!

sorry, late to the party on this one MezgerMan.  It's been well covered above and I agree on the actual sale price of S4's being in the 30's assuming good condition and solid service history, and low km mint examples certainly into the 40's.   

My recent experience would suggest this is about right.

The slatterys auction 928 went for $30k as a non runner, has 134k on the clock and no history, believe it was a deceased estate sale and had been sat for a couple of years. It's immaculate, so as long as NineAuto have it running for reasonable money it could be a relative bargain. No idea who bought it, just saw it in NineAuto a couple of weeks ago waiting to be brought back to life.

The slatterys auction 928 went for $30k as a non runner, has 134k on the clock and no history, believe it was a deceased estate sale and had been sat for a couple of years. It's immaculate, so as long as NineAuto have it running for reasonable money it could be a relative bargain. No idea who bought it, just saw it in NineAuto a couple of weeks ago waiting to be brought back to life.

I heard it's a good car - I suspect the buyer probably knew the car as it was a full price for a non-runner at auction

Adam

I don't think the advert write up does it any favours and makes it sound like a money pit as he doesn't explain why he's probably spent 7 or 8 grand on it but has it now up for sale.  Looks the goods though!

You could be right Pete, but then again if that were the case no cars would sell :)

Knowing what maintenance is needed that list of what he has done that car stands out as one to look at for sure if the $$$ were there for me.

There has to be more to it.... anyone here had a look?

• 2 weeks later...

The white 928 is a UK car showing ~ 80,000 miles. No books or records of when imported so no way to confirm the mileage. Some service history from new owner including ~$7000 for new heads, valves and coils. Timing belt done several year back.  One minor golf ball dent on car.  Described by owner as clean interior and undercarriage supporting the low mileage.

The owner seems like a nice friendly gent and happy to provide more info or photos to anyone interested. May be a good buy for someone.

So here we have a car that is a UK import and is probably close to what it may be worth and at that price if it checks out should sell reasonably well...

On the other hand here is one that is trying to claim to be a previous car of McLaren racing (?!?)  what ever that is wirth (nothing to me)http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1988/SSE-AD-2439006/?Cr=0 and worth far less than what they are asking....

There is little to choose from right now in the 928 market, I suspect the white UK may move quickly....

Need a new 4.5 litre 928 engine... http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bendigo/cars-vans-utes/1981-porsche-928-4-5-liter-engine/1125596760

or just stick it in your lounge as a work of art

Edited by ANF

This one could well be the bargain http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1990/SSE-AD-2361047/?Cr=0 maintained by Buchannan's and looks very nice for similar money to the white UK one!

@Jason E 2 nice 928s for you to ponder......

Such a pity the white 928 in Taree doesn't have the same maintenance history as the black one in Sydney.  I suppose anything that can be verified as maintained at Buchanans is worth a look.  I just don't want a black car (like the interior though), would love a white car however.  Just need to find a reputable PPI location as close as possible to Taree.  Why can't it just be a little easier?