22 hours ago, ANF said:

They did race in the Nurburgring and LeMans 24 hours races back in the day, would be interesting to see what (if any) mods were made to them? You can get a dry sump kit for them. How would you rate the handling of the 928 vs a similar vintage 911? (not at all wishing to stir up that hornets nest :) )

Any Porsche can be a money pit :) but the more I learn about 928s the less I tend to agree with notion that they can be.... they can bite hard though!!

The handling is super different (but mine's not on stock suspension nor wheels/tyres so might not be as relevant).  The biggest difference is the feel through the steering wheel.  The 911's typically feel light & fidgety whereas the 928 (mine at least) feels a lot heavier.  The whole car feels a lot heavier (likely just due to the feel through the wheel) even though it's only got an extra 120kg on it compared with my C3.0 targa.  It's got a noticeably wider track so that may add to the cornering friction/steering resistance.   I feel mine has a fair bit more friction in the driveline as well.  Pushing it or rolling it around seems to have more resistance than any of the 911's.  I'm not sure if there really is more resistance or whether it's a function of more rubber & weight up front.  I find I have to put in steering inputs a lot earlier and then feed in the throttle a bit in advance to where I would on the 911.  Once you get used to that (and I'm just starting to) it starts to liven up a bit and feel lighter on its toes.  I get the impression that as I get more confident and get the speeds up a bit it will lighten up further.  I'll be going out for my first fun drive in about 4 weeks (they've all lately been client drives & that means you're driving your mirror as much as in front) tomorrow morning and am looking forward to hustling it along a bit.  Similarly, first track day in about 3 weeks so that will give me a chance to explore handling further up the chain.  There's a lot more power & torque than in the 911's, which is noticeable.  In a non technical sense I'd say it's 'meaty' whereas the 911's are 'dancy'.

I'd guess the Nurburg & Lemans cars were running dry sumps & a bunch of other things.  Mine's got a clover leaf/baffled sump which should prove sufficient for the type of track work I'll be doing.  My reasoning is that if the setup was good enough for production cup & Porsche cup then it should be more than enough for me - the car's in semi retirement really :)

Edit - just back from the first proper road drive.  It flows just fine through the bends but needs about 15 - 20kmhr more than the 911's to feel alive & for the steering not to feel heavy.  When you get a chance to actually drive drive....it's a hoot.  I'd say it's faster than any of the 911's we have as well (courtesy of the 5 litres) but the tighter the bend, the more the 911's catch up...

Thanks @Gavin (CliffToCoast)

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/reviews/driving-richard-attwood-s-porsche-928-racer-1

One of the first things that I noticed when driving mine was how heavy the steering is for an assisted setup, works well though.

The car shown above was largely stock according to the rules, I can't find any info on if there were any sump mods though.....

5 hours ago, ANF said:

Thanks @Gavin (CliffToCoast)

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/reviews/driving-richard-attwood-s-porsche-928-racer-1

One of the first things that I noticed when driving mine was how heavy the steering is for an assisted setup, works well though.

The car shown above was largely stock according to the rules, I can't find any info on if there were any sump mods though.....

Looks quite nice!  I've been led to believe the clover leaf baffle setup ( an early model feature?) is quite popular for those wishing to do a bit of track work.

4 hours ago, ANF said:

Nice spotting by @Pork Chops https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1985/SSE-AD-5222163/?Cr=0

Didn't know you kept tabs on the 928 market, you must subconsciously want one..... :cool07:

Only around the corner from you ANF. Is it now sitting in your garage? B)

37 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Only around the corner from you ANF. Is it now sitting in your garage? B)

Have you been snooping around my streets... :cool07:

There is already one in my garage, and that is enough, for now......

There are now 3 x 928s for sale in Tas, unheard of!!? 

8 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hahhaa no I only used to snoop around Jono's street(s) looking for spare projects:ph34r: I know F all about 928s is that one a reasonable buy? My thoughts are yes from what I can see and read... 

Ah, it has more pics now.

The original wheels are included, as I do not like the ones on it, so that is a plus.

Seats need a fix and that intake looks like it has not been touched in a while so I would be planning to do that as well. If the rest checks out ok it could be a good one with a little work, also depends what lurks underneath as it is an import most likely from the UK?

On 22/01/2018 at 2:37 PM, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Edit - just back from the first proper road drive.  It flows just fine through the bends but needs about 15 - 20kmhr more than the 911's to feel alive & for the steering not to feel heavy.  When you get a chance to actually drive drive....it's a hoot.  I'd say it's faster than any of the 911's we have as well (courtesy of the 5 litres) but the tighter the bend, the more the 911's catch up...

A good summary!  You can safely carry an extra 20km/hr through the bends than the old 911. If you have popeye forearms it will smoke a 911, and no worries in the wet , unlike twitch>ditch in the other car!

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I think one of the main things to do in a 928 is to reduce weight! Removing the seats from an S would save a lot, along with the interior delete and A/C removal. The 928 CS is a favourite of mine and I would love to create one in the earlier shape.

What size front tyres do you have on yours Gavin?

11 hours ago, ANF said:

I think one of the main things to do in a 928 is to reduce weight! Removing the seats from an S would save a lot, along with the interior delete and A/C removal. The 928 CS is a favourite of mine and I would love to create one in the earlier shape.

What size front tyres do you have on yours Gavin?

Fronts are 235/45 on 17's.

The whole weight thing is interesting...no doubt removing weight has an impact on performance and times but I can say that a car that's pretty stripped out (as mine is) still feels heavy..if only due to the weight on the steering wheel.

2 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Fronts are 235/45 on 17's.

The whole weight thing is interesting...no doubt removing weight has an impact on performance and times but I can say that a car that's pretty stripped out (as mine is) still feels heavy..if only due to the weight on the steering wheel.

Standard is 225 so 10mm would not make a huge difference.

It depends on where you are coming from, what you are used to? All of my cars have been front engined (except for the formula vee) so the 928 for me steers and handles better than anything before and the steering weight/ weight up front is not noticeable.

It will be interesting to compare it to a 911 when I get the chance.

9 hours ago, KGB said:

It's more about the presence of taste.  Coal Miner's Special Edition.

It would be boring if we agreed :P