How is it to drive Gut?  I imagine a long legged cruiser but maybe has a bit of poke and handling for the odd SMT?  They have fascinated me ever since the first of the futuristic egg mobiles landed on our shores when I was a young fella.  I remember ogling one at Brents in early 80s, pasha and all

Not sure I would use it if I had one.  And could I live with an 80s 4 speed slush box, doubt it.  More of a dream never to be realised I think.  I'd want a really early manual car or late GTS manual both of which command serious bucks and very rare here.

How is it to drive? I love it. Seriously. From a backdrop of a 930, a 965 powered Carrera narrow body hot rod and a 3.2 Carrera, it impresses. It's got some punch. Mine's a manual GTS - I haven't driven any other 928... I have given it a bit of stick around some twisty roads but not properly so far. It's surprised me with how capable it is. It's got long, persistent, chunky power delivery and is instant on throttle. Like you'd expect a naturally aspirated V8 to be - so totally different to the turbo 911's. The handling is pretty bloody good - really steady and balanced but not as sharp and light feeling as the 911. But it's not a boat by any stretch.

I think I'd love a powered up manual with upgraded suspension - something tight and ball tearing.

It's also an extremely comfortable car to drive any distance in and just feels like it wants to fly.

So, yes, I rate it and would recommend one to anyone.

Even with a $9,500 price drop, this beautifully presented, low km example is still far and away the priciest S4 on the market now. And I don't think the market will meet the seller, even at the new price (as much as I'd like to see S4 prices up there).

If they wait long enough the market will come to them.... may take a few years :) although sillier things have happened in the world of P car pricing/ sales....... Slim pickings for 928 now, with most seemingly over priced, I am with you would love them to be getting these prices :)

Not sure I would use it if I had one.  And could I live with an 80s 4 speed slush box, doubt it.  More of a dream never to be realised I think.  I'd want a really early manual car or late GTS manual both of which command serious bucks and very rare here.

I really wanted a 4 speed auto, but my 3 speed 83 does not disappoint, such a wide torque curve with 300 Nm available from about 1500 rpm it just goes! Top end is a scream. Manual not really a consideration for me - buggered left knee, but I do drive mine manually, sounds weird with a 3 speed auto :P 

Early manuals are still not that expensive here (well not compared to O.S.) rare yes. but you may be disappointed with the 4.5 V8 - 240hp vs 300 or more from S model and on and not that much lighter.

Natch.

If you say so - was part of the teenage diet where I grew up...

http://www.bargainbooze.co.uk/natch-cider-can-500ml-4-pack.html

And, moving on...

DJM - regarding the manual v auto comments, I wouldn't be in a 928 if I could only get an auto, I'm not a fan of the early cars, and I can't afford a GTS. This is where an import can be your friend - there are manual S4s in this country, just not often advertised that I know of. I've read comments that say the manual doesn't suit the car, to which I would suggest they really mean the manual doesn't suit their driving style. Its not snickety-snick, MX5 style, but neither is it wishy-washy or slow. It is in fact something to practice and use. And I like it, so there! :)

Haha 240hp is 968 4 cylinder power.  

Power is power , torque is torque and noise is noise! I'd upgrade my 944 to a 968 if I wasn't putting my money into other things. 

But the 928 ownership is non negotiable. Such a fine daily driver, er car as most people call them.

not much $ for lotsa fun

Plus whatever $$$ is needed to rebuild it all.....

Why not go 6 speed from auto.... http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/automatic_transaxle_upgrade_kit.php

A bit cheaper from manual... http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/transaxle_upgrade_kit.php

With both of those kits you still need to source tour own corvette 6 speed transaxle.... oh boy that makes it expensive......

If you want a manual 928 I would seriously look at this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1990/SSE-AD-3254235/?Cr=0

It has to be a testament of how good a 928 really is, look at that interior after 400000 odd km!! Wow. Rebuilt engine 80000km ago (with no wear shown (I have heard Bruce B say this before about 928s....) so good for another 300000+ km...... plus had all the major service items done. More power than the S4.... Been for sale forever, someone make an offer (no affiliation what so ever, just looks the goods to me!)

If you want a manual 928 I would seriously look at this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1990/SSE-AD-3254235/?Cr=0

It has to be a testament of how good a 928 really is, look at that interior after 400000 odd km!! Wow. Rebuilt engine 80000km ago (with no wear shown (I have heard Bruce B say this before about 928s....) so good for another 300000+ km...... plus had all the major service items done. More power than the S4.... Been for sale forever, someone make an offer (no affiliation what so ever, just looks the goods to me!)

Spoke to this guy months ago when I was looking - keen enthusiast owner but don't think he really wants to sell, low offers aren't going to get anywhere I suspect. I also had a quick chat with BB about this and got a generally positive vibe. Worth a serious look but prob not if you're going to offer $20k...

What year got the better Borg Warner style syncro gearbox?

This one does look good:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1987/SSE-AD-4331423/?Cr=1

That does indeed look good - love the blue/cream combo. Thinking about my recent entry fee and the work done/scheduled/planned, I reckon the asking price for this blue one should leave a little wriggle room for negotiation, if its as good as suggested by the ad. Might be a test for the demand for manual S4s - the autos seem to have hung around a while now.

That blue S4 looks very nice.  $10k more than the White GT but that car looks a bit deformed at the front, aftermarket wheel, burgundy interior, rust beside rear screen (?) and 400+kms are a turn off.  The blue one just looks neat, great colour combo, low kms.  If I was looking I'd take a look!

Still gotta love that blue ….wouldnt you just finish that hack and go manual 

1989 Porsche 928 S4 Auto             

For the same money I would take the Aus delivered one and original colour one too! For my eyes that blue does not suit a 928...... plus it's a manual for all you "purists" :P

For the same money I would take the Aus delivered one and original colour one too! For my eyes that blue does not suit a 928...... plus it's a manual for all you "purists" :P

Is it not candidate for Outlaw ;)  Drop in Tremec or something… were there no punchy 928 colours that got to Aus .. the equiv of  the 70's viper greens , signal orange.. I mean it was the beggining of fluro something and was a colourful time … NO Wham style cars..

Where are all the Talbot Yellow , Moss green , Bamboo , Moss green and dare I say Mocha Black cars

1987 as it happens.  Getrag G28.12 with single plate clutch according to Brian Long.

Are you sure Peter? Not having read his book what I found online (admittedly sometimes that can be wrong....)

1985 - Borg Warner type synchro in manual transmission with shorter lighter gear shift

1987 - Single plate clutches

1992 - Stronger gearbox

Cheers

Are you sure Peter?

Not really!

With the '87 he talks about the modifications to the suspension needed to make the new gearbox fit so I assumed that was the turning point of marginal to OK with regard the manuals.  When I get home on the weekend I'll do a bit more reading