Clean Energy Disruption

Sorry.  Shouldn't have been rude about engineers.  Spent the afternoon in their company talking finite element analysis, and they're smart (as you know).  We all have our different opinions but I kinda dont get', in fact I get frustrated by the absolute denial of the prospect of change.

Piss of Engineers Chops and you will have to start wearing animal skins and collecting your own food. BTW I am responsible for a lot more innovative industry (the one I was in) firsts than I have fingers and toes plus yours as well. I am not down on innovation as I spent my life innovating. Ever used the Dorian race car Timing System?. I also sold my interest in my last business due to a lack of innovation focus by the others involved. They were of the opinion that we should have been developing what customers were asking for today (with a 2 year lead time) rather than looking ahead and developing now what customers would want/ must have in the future. What I do not like is being fed BS by the rent seekers and other leaches that think it is ok to stick their hands in my pocket. I decide what is useful to me and spend accordingly.  

Change is inevitable. So who is denying it? What is also inevitable is that the people making wild predictions about the future will pretty much always be wrong. Did anybody at the seminar ask the hard questions that required them to justify their position or was it a "mutual admiration society"? I was so impressed /sarc that computer image recognition rates are going down. I would expect nothing less. So how good are they really compared to a human. My money is on not even in the ball park yet. But one day they might get there. Maybe.

Not sure mate. I'll ask my gardening man B).

Actually, just being a wanker. Gardener uses petrol mower and snipper. I'm no greenie but I bloody should be as we're all going to environmental hell.

Solar is where it's at.

Solar? Old news. If we could ship off the non productive anti REAL energy scum that need safe spaces and are scared of their own shadows my money is on Molten Salt Reactors or any form of fusion. Huge amounts of clean controllable reliable energy. All without killing birds and bats or requiring vast tracts of land in the name of intermittent, unreliable, indeterminate power. But perhaps wearing animal skins appeals to some.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go Redracn. An article that considers the embodied energy in making solar panels. But let's not forget pretty much anything manufactured or built has embodied energy.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21711301-new-paper-may-have-answer-how-clean-solar-power?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/howcleanissolarpower

Here you go Redracn. An article that considers the embodied energy in making solar panels. But let's not forget pretty much anything manufactured or built has embodied energy.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21711301-new-paper-may-have-answer-how-clean-solar-power?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/howcleanissolarpower

More dreaming and only half the story. 30 years is a very big stretch as the output starts decreasing from day 1 so you need to decide at what point (often 70%) they are no longer doing the required job or add more to supplement the diminished outputs. Would you keep panels on your roof that are at 50% of original capacity or use the valuable space to trade up to solar pannels with double the output. Failures. Yep they fail for all sorts of reasons including natural disasters and are usually a write off which must also be accounted for as well as maintance and disposal. These attempts to cost are usually rubbish and to diverse they really should show specific examples which can be calculated with a far better certainty. 

And how are panels going to replace themselves when the output is to variable to operate the furnaces both silicon and aluminum (used for pannel framing and the mounting rails). Without fossil or nuclear or very large scale hydo you can forget manufacturing Green Power.

In the end the energy produced or could be produced by the not so green power is a pittance of what is required in a modern society. Yes you can run a house with suitable fossil fuel support and that is the experience most peole have of electricity. Industry on the other hand is an entirely different matter where most have no idea about what is involved in providing them with the lifestyle to which they have become accustom. 

Are you sure it is wise to be emitting lots of CO2 today to add to the total, resulting in greater emissions than business as usual, by manufacturing items that may possibly sometime in the futue resulting in less emissions and hence add to the now much bigger total at a slower rate?  What if a truly disruptive technology comes along? Could it be possible we raised global CO2 levels for no good reason. 

Sucking up to he public? Look we are not the baddies the media have told you we are. Straigh fom the PR playbook. Delivery of course is another question entirely. 

The irony is that Diesel Gate is all about VW reducing CO2 emissions which came at the cost of an increase in the emmisions of nitrous oxides (from having a leaner higher combustion temperature)

If CO2 really really really mattered VW should be given a big cheer. But it apears sticking it to the regulators is a very big sin or Nitrous Oxides are acually a big health issue and CO2 is really nothing to be concerned about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yep looks like the AFR are imbeciles as well! I posted that same article a few days back from The Age ....there's just no reality or possibility to the logistics and timelines he states.... more like 50 years to integrate the total demise of petrol cars off the roads - excepting hugely taxed "special vehicles" (read vintage Prior to 2020 Porches) .....

sandy468 added a topic in NEWS    Tuesday at 10:10 PM

• 1 year later...

Archived