912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

I should have remembered it when I looked at fitting in a 6cyl in the 912!

Also 'think' it needs to be of the same appearance. Though that's here in SA the nanna state, where you can't even have a metallic type paint of the same colour if it didn't come out with it originally! 

Can't you put a 3.0 engine in and then put the car on club reg/permit like what can be done down in Vic? Think you will very disappointed with power going from a 930 to a 4cyl!!!

not for compliance. Needs to be as per original spec (or close to) to get through + a few bits like seat belts and headlights will need to be upgraded (just been though it with my 930). Afterwards you can put what you like in it but I am trying to avoid doing two engine installs. 200+bhp in a 912 will more than enough. You can basically pick the car up with your hands ?

they would be a bit simple to mistake a dusty 912 for a Singer back date mate. Getting her washed today to see how she looks sans dust, but any body work will be underneath. Will probably maintain the patina 

Where do I suggest that customs would mistake it for a Singer? That would be ridiculous, not least because I doubt they would even know what one is. I didn't realise you were only going to do structural body issues under the skin and leave the outer as is. The issues could potentially come about if you were doing a full reno. The key thing is not to arouse their suspicions. If the car looks like it could be a $9k car then no problems.

not for compliance. Needs to be as per original spec (or close to) to get through + a few bits like seat belts and headlights will need to be upgraded (just been though it with my 930). Afterwards you can put what you like in it but I am trying to avoid doing two engine installs. 200+bhp in a 912 will more than enough. You can basically pick the car up with your hands ?

""200+bhp in a 912 will more than enough"" - Tomnus, remember the outlaw code - ""no amount is ever enough!

Where do I suggest that customs would mistake it for a Singer? That would be ridiculous, not least because I doubt they would even know what one is. I didn't realise you were only going to do structural body issues under the skin and leave the outer as is. The issues could potentially come about if you were doing a full reno. The key thing is not to arouse their suspicions. If the car looks like it could be a $9k car then no problems.

jeeezzz are all ex RS owners this sensitive ??? Machines and macchiatos on tomorrow mate. You up for a 6.20 meet in Paddington lane? Or maybe see you there as your place at PLC might be closer?

jeeezzz are all ex RS owners this sensitive ??? Machines and macchiatos on tomorrow mate. You up for a 6.20 meet in Paddington lane? Or maybe see you there as your place at PLC might be closer?

That's me. A sensitive soul!:D

I am doing some work on the car and i will need to see if I can get it finished today. If I can, I will see you there. Do you have a convoy?

That's me. A sensitive soul!:D

I am doing some work on the car and i will need to see if I can get it finished today. If I can, I will see you there. Do you have a convoy?

me and Jad so far

I'd seriously consider buying it. Mates rates to keep it purring around the streets of Paddo???

your wife would divorce you

@turboT - to get rego, just chuck a Formula Vee race engine into the outlaw.  1600cc VW 4 cylinder race engine.  A fast and cheap drop in option... 

www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/201680279281

This bloke has had his Formula Vee for sale for a year now. He'd probably take $7000 for the whole race car. 

@turboT - to get rego, just chuck a Formula Vee race engine into the outlaw.  1600cc VW 4 cylinder race engine.  A fast and cheap drop in option... 

www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/201680279281

This bloke has had his Formula Vee for sale for a year now. He'd probably take $7000 for the whole race car. 

Not sure if this would prove to be worth while? No experience in the 1600s, but the 1200s are no more powerful than a standard engine, maybe a bit of balancing but otherwise stock. They fly in 375kg (or what ever it is now/ for the 1600s) but may struggle to move a 912....?

Not sure if this would prove to be worth while? No experience in the 1600s, but the 1200s are no more powerful than a standard engine, maybe a bit of balancing but otherwise stock. They fly in 375kg (or what ever it is now/ for the 1600s) but may struggle to move a 912....?

Indeed , the lowly power combined with the lowly weight is what makes Formula V work. 

A man used to curling 250kg won't find much thrill in curling 40 odd ;) 

As per my post above, the modification required to install a VW engine of any size is not worth it. I looked into it at length with VW and Porsche experts before I rebuilt my 912 engine. The costs, plus sourcing the VW engine, rebuilding it, chassis mods, engineering it for rego etc etc made it a costly and pointless exercise

With all due respect, Tom has obviously looked at a few options with this car, and it has been clearly stated that a 200hp Polo engine is his personal priority. I have also mentioned that I would prefer he install a flat 6 or a hot 912 engine, yet any talk of a VW being used is a waste of time. Yes its been done before, so have WRX turbo's etc, yet with Australian regulations, it would be a pain in the arse to gain a roadworthy certificate without spending an uneccesary amount of cash

As per my post above, the modification required to install a VW engine of any size is not worth it. I looked into it at length with VW and Porsche experts before I rebuilt my 912 engine. The costs, plus sourcing the VW engine, rebuilding it, chassis mods, engineering it for rego etc etc made it a costly and pointless exercise

With all due respect, Tom has obviously looked at a few options with this car, and it has been clearly stated that a 200hp Polo engine is his personal priority. I have also mentioned that I would prefer he install a flat 6 or a hot 912 engine, yet any talk of a VW being used is a waste of time. Yes its been done before, so have WRX turbo's etc, yet with Australian regulations, it would be a pain in the arse to gain a roadworthy certificate without spending an uneccesary amount of cash

It seems like the waters are getting muddied for Tom, with regards to original engine talk. 

• It is NOT an issue to install the 911 6 Cyl - Talk to the engineer that will certify the car
  • It CAN be an issue to get import approval of a modified car/hot-road - Talk to DOTARS or the importer to bring the car (they may advocate bring it in without motor in situ) 
  • There IS  an issue with aftermarket engine blocks, I'm not sure of the way around this personally - again talk to the engineer.  

Be mindful pre 76 cars are NOT subject to ADR's so there is a lot of "handy" loopholes should you wish to modify. :) 

Jeez leave you lot alone for a few hours and look what happens ?

Seller gone a bit quiet...hoping no Jono scam right now. Trawled his facebook and I have all the identities of his children as security 

...and enough bullshit talk about VW engines and 912 engines. We are know they are underpowered crap. That is why 911's were invented :) 

behold the 'best of both worlds' - Isn't she pretty

fb9c3e59f082d7445d439fb5dedb7f2d_zps2nga