912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

agree. Front quarters look like they have been worked over with a rolling pin, but generally pretty impressed. Hopefully get a full inspection next week....

looking forward to watching this car land in Aus and the project ahead, very exciting.

Would love to know more about how you sourced the car, pick up, shipping etc? Looks like whoever had got it for you is taking good care of it!

Thanks

jonathan

looking forward to watching this car land in Aus and the project ahead, very exciting.

Would love to know more about how you sourced the car, pick up, shipping etc? Looks like whoever had got it for you is taking good care of it!

Thanks

jonathan

facebook forum mate. Finally wasting time on the internet paid off. A really great guy (Rob) in the US found it, but already had three p-cars and wasn't allowed another so posted it wanting to know what it was worth and who wanted it. First few suggested about $9kUS and I was second in line (first guy dicked him around and here we are). Rob has since got it out of the barn, dragged it across the country, washed it and is organizing a local shop to give me a thorough inspection. When I know exactly what I have bought and what needs to be done I will figure out where to send it but the thought is to get all the work done in the US as its much cheaper. My overall budget will  be $100kOZ, or roughly $75KUS, but if I get a reasonable  price for my 930 I might raise this to $90kUS. Estimate of costs so far:

Purchase price - $9KUS

New engine - $40KUS

Inspection - $1KUS

Shipping- $4KUS

Import tax - $750US

Leaves a max of just over $35KUS to get in cleaned up, replace what needs replacing, fix what needs fixing and get it running.  That would no doubt be impossible here, but I am going to give it a go over there. 

Having a look at the pics and talking to the guy that found it, there is some work to do on the body. It is a 50 year old car that's been in a barn...

using the few contacts I do have in LA I reached out to Matt from Alchemy paints. He is a young english dude that does all of Magnus's jobs. Full new paint for $10 - 15k. Tempted...

Having a look at the pics and talking to the guy that found it, there is some work to do on the body. It is a 50 year old car that's been in a barn...

using the few contacts I do have in LA I reached out to Matt from Alchemy paints. He is a young english dude that does all of Magnus's jobs. Full new paint for $10 - 15k. Tempted...

Do It

That makes it a lot comforting that you're sourcing a pommy to do the bodywork... I think their practices are a lot better than the standard US ones and more in line with those of our own. 

That makes it a lot comforting that you're sourcing a pommy to do the bodywork...

From FB

The bloke that runs this joint is a pretty rad character but The true star is when Beeker is there to supervise. She's one sexy bitch and doesn't take lip.

Beeker? Beeker?

hqdefault.jpg 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my barnfind should be with POLOMOTORS by the end of next week so  just starting to mood board a few choices. 

It looks like I have a black  dash with the silver insert.  black carpet, but seats missing and rest of  interior a little suspect.  Always liked the thought of a tan interior with a silver car but love retaining the black/silver elements as in the image bellow. 

PORSCHE lettering in the rear - have to be gold

Loving the 912P badge

57-29_zpspo7uhjra.jpg

cp5248403118704809760_zpsbwimett0.jpg

912-4_zpssaue6155.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

STAGE 1: REALIZE WHAT A RUST BUCKET YOU HAVE BOUGHT...

I guess nothing majorly unexpected considering as it is a 50 year old car i bought for $9k. Floor pans I already knew about, and the rest is all the usual suspects. Looks like we will be going for a full strip down, rust repair and repaint. Dean from POLO MOTOTORS is going to be looking after all the mechanical's. 

Still mulling over what the exact end result will be, so interested on the collectives opinion on:

1. suspension 

2. transmission

3. electrical upgrades

4. lights

5. other suggestions

IMG_0376_zpsdg2zef8p.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsc8zcqiq5.jpg

IMG_0432_zpsnmutlyva.jpg

IMG_0429_zpscbbr5kop.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsbxwxrwn3.jpg

IMG_0415_zpsj1fh9cth.jpg

IMG_0414_zpseqzf21iz.jpg

IMG_0412_zpszrz9nrap.jpg

IMG_0408_zpso6aqzoja.jpg

IMG_0392_zps3vkoj8q0.jpg

IMG_0389_zpscbfk6drj.jpg

What's in the smugglers box?  Is that an original petrol burning heater?

On the electrical upgrade front, you can get replacement fuse boxes which take blade fuses and have built in relays for stuff that was not originally relayed, like the lights.  Diverts high current away from dash wiring, which is smart for a 50 year old car.  Worth thinking about.  Go at least fora h4 upgrade to the lights if not already done as well.

Just choose your body guy wisely Tom. 

I don't have to tell you, yet if they're a big name in Porscheland (aka Emory, Wilhoit etc) you'll pay a stupid amount of money for basic work. Sort all the panels yourself, then once you have chosen the panel shop, have it all sent there. I don't wish to be rude here, yet even though you can afford to have the best in the business do the work, it is just a non matching numbers custom 912, not a 73 RS. It doesn't, and never will make financial sense to pay for a name unless you're wanting a 100 point concourse car ready for Amelia Island!

I'd be getting onto Magnus to see who he uses, hourly rates etc, and go from there. One panel a day should be a snap for an experienced panel guy, or put the word out on Instagram with what you need done. That's my opinion anyway

As far as electrical goes, get on to Classic Retrofit from your home land. They have high end full replacement fuse boxes. They are also about to release a new fully electric A/C set up that fits into the nose of the car, doesn't require any holes to be cut, and from all of the extensive testing they have done, it really works.