912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

good news for 912 protection society membership organisation committee (PSMOC)

Engine is non matching numbers. Now just got to convince Edgy that he needs to buy it from me to go with the Silver car and it will be a perfect circle of completeness for this thread, with two 912 builds :lol:

the entire thing is starting to sound like an elaborate bait and switch by the Yankees to unload two 912s and a polo engine on some unsuspecting Aussies.   

Theyll be be sitting around drinking their bud light and slapping their knees '...and then we sold them another one!'

Now THAT is a 356 I'd love to own! 

The only real problem I had with my 912 was believing the 'They're better than a 911' comments from 912 owners. Even when Buik Motorworks built me a great 1720 engine top to bottom, it wouldn't pull the skin off a bowl of custard! 

I was so disappointed, that I had no regrets after I'd sold it. If I had my time again with it (knowing what I know now) I would have thrown in a 6 cylinder for sure. I reckon you're in for a treat with the Polo engine Tom! 

Now THAT is a 356 I'd love to own! 

The only real problem I had with my 912 was believing the 'They're better than a 911' comments from 912 owners. Even when Buik Motorworks built me a great 1720 engine top to bottom, it wouldn't pull the skin off a bowl of custard! 

I was so disappointed, that I had no regrets after I'd sold it. If I had my time again with it (knowing what I know now) I would have thrown in a 6 cylinder for sure. I reckon you're in for a treat with the Polo engine Tom! 

For perspective sake; If you had a fast 911 in the garage also, would you say that the 912 would make a nice addition to a collection? 

If you took every single part off an original car and installed it on a different body , is that morally different from keeping the original body and installing every new part (typical over restored Merican cars)? Do we care? Not me , these aren't particularly rare beetles!

Do what your architecky heart desires Tom , sideskirts and a skivvy if you must , and you know the Cardashian episodes will be watched as soon they are aired ;)

For perspective sake; If you had a fast 911 in the garage also, would you say that the 912 would make a nice addition to a collection? 

Absolutely. If you just want to get out and drive around to the shops, go for a coffee or a show, I'd be happy to have one for just those reasons, though for the hills, I like grunt and noise. A 912 does not provide that 

After the run in period, the plan for my 912 was to spend my time mostly in the hills fanging around, and I did do that once, then got bored. Disappointing after the years of work, money and hope that I had invested in it. The 911 I have now absolutely smokes it in every way possible (obviously).

Just because it's lighter, and probably handles a BIT better having less weight out the back, there is NO chance in hell I'd own a 912 without it having 180 or 200 hp as a weekend blaster. Downhill in the twisties it would probably hold it's own (early brakes would be questionable though!), yet as soon as you go uphill...well...that's another story. Funny when Porsche people say they're a great car, then after you sell a car like the 912, you get the same people saying 'Yeah, I didn't think you'd like the lack of power'. I had that a couple of times

They have their purpose for sure, and I'd never say to anyone 'Don't buy one', yet in my brief experience with them, they're not for me in what I want in a Porsche 

So perfect Cafe racer for a suburbanite poser? :D 

The term 'cafe racer' has been adopted, and overused, by hipsters who are trying to be cool when they're not. Their idea of what a cafe racer is all about, is doing laps of a roundabout after a skinny soy latte' and a bowl of lentil soup!  

Call it what you want, but a hills blaster they are not ;)

So are you going to import it with that engine in it for ease of getting it through and change to the Polo once it is here, or will it be swapped out over there?

swapped over there. Don't think there is any issue importing hotrods, just getting them registered. But this is what got me started down this route in the first place - AH recon as it is still a 4 cylinder it should be fine. Does make me think it might be worth hanging onto the old engine just in case...