912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

Hi Tom

I have your car running. 

A few little checks and I will drive and see how it runs

Hopefully there are no set backs.

What is your schedule like here in the near future?

I have an exhaust on it for run in. I will put it in the shop for a proper exhaust the first of the week.

Thank you for your patience Tom,'

Dean P

1 hour ago, turboT said:

Hi Tom

I have your car running. 

A few little checks and I will drive and see how it runs

Hopefully there are no set backs.

What is your schedule like here in the near future?

I have an exhaust on it for run in. I will put it in the shop for a proper exhaust the first of the week.

Thank you for your patience Tom,'

Dean P

spam? ?

4 hours ago, MFX said:

Sounds amazing. I can only imagine how it will look and sound when it is filmed on something other than a potato :D 

Dean not that experienced with a camera ?

5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

It's a beast! How many horses and how many torques Tom? Redline?

quote I found - "estimates the numbers are 208 hp at 6700 rpm and 170 lb-ft of torque at 5300 rpm — not bad for a 2,100-pound car that he says is capable of 33 mpg on the freeway. "

2 hours ago, turboT said:

Dean not that experienced with a camera ?

quote I found - "estimates the numbers are 208 hp at 6700 rpm and 170 lb-ft of torque at 5300 rpm — not bad for a 2,100-pound car that he says is capable of 33 mpg on the freeway. "

Haahaha best to stick to the spanners instead of those troublesome cameras......Should give it around SC performance in a straight line I guess, and unique, I like that - I'm sure you checked out the fuel economy figures before going ahead with it B)

On 8/11/2018 at 5:55 PM, mph911 said:

Your 912 will weigh close to 1000kg  when done, you will need about 280hp to be similar to the least powerful GT3...

I must be bored... - just ran the figures on this one.

Weight of a stock 912 is 965kg's. My little engine adds another 20pounds over stock (about 9kgs) - so total weight is 974kg's. with a total suggested HP of 200 this is 0.2Hp/kg

Taking a 996gt3 at 1350kgs and 355hp, this car is only marginally more efficient at 0.26 Hp/Kg, but yes I would need a big lift in power (around 255hp) to get gt3 quick) 

However, not sure about the SC, but a 930 with figures of 1379kg/256hp is less at 0.18Hp/kg

2 hours ago, turboT said:

I must be bored... - just ran the figures on this one.

Weight of a stock 912 is 965kg's. My little engine adds another 20pounds over stock (about 9kgs) - so total weight is 974kg's. with a total suggested HP of 200 this is 0.2Hp/kg

Taking a 996gt3 at 1350kgs and 355hp, this car is only marginally more efficient at 0.26 Hp/Kg, but yes I would need a big lift in power (around 255hp) to get gt3 quick) 

However, not sure about the SC, but a 930 with figures of 1379kg/256hp is less at 0.18Hp/kg

It might be a bit heavier than you think.. This is from the owner of a Polo engined 912...

I finally got around to weighing my car today. It came in at 2240 pounds with 3/4 of a tank of fuel. The car with the 616 engine was 2084 pounds dry. If a gallon of fuel weighs 7 pounds or is it 8. I'll use 7 for now, times 12 gallons that's 84. 2240 - 84 = 2156. If I took off the heavy SS stock muffler and put on a light 2 in 1 out M&K, I should be able to get it down to about 2140. So a extra 80 to 100 hp came with a 56 to 72 pound weight penalty depending on what muffler I choose. It appears a Polo engine with a oil tank, 11 qts of oil, hoses, thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines and a front oil cooler splits the difference between a SWB 912 and 911. About 20 to 25 pounds of that weight increase is ahead of the rear axles. That would include the thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines, oil, and the carrera cooler. The cooler the heaviest part is 14 or 15 inches ahead of the front hubs. I have not done anything to lighten this car. If someone was inclined to get weight off this car, they probably could get it down to it's original weight."

1 minute ago, LeeM said:

Whatever HP it puts out, I'm sure it's going to be a helluva laugh to drive, and you will have the only one in Australia! How many can say their GT3 is the only one in Oz?

Tom              1

GT3 owners 0

Yeh but, it’s no Klassy. Will only ever be one of those unicorns unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, LeeM said:

It could be though @hugh There is a Klassy replica bodykit of Gumtree with Tom's name on it. It's black too!

Damn. “Klassy Outlaw” has a nice ring to it. 

But seriously Tom, understandably your interested in the outcome but I wouldn’t be too stressed about the numbers. GT3’s have a lot more to offer than HP just like old 911’s have never really been “fast” in in terms of straight line speed. It’s a cool project, so long as it feels “light” it will feel fast and I’d say that will be more than enough.