912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

I think you should just shove a VW engine in it to get it here, and then rip it out and do what you like.

you beat me to it Jeff - the polo motor looks interesting but for $40k, really?

you can get some decent power out of a beetle motor and a decent engine note, but let's be honest, the 912 is about cruising and looking cool - if you want to go fast T you already have that base well and truely covered....

Edited by Ozvino

The issue here boys is that there is currently no engine. The only way to get compliance is to put an original 912 engine in it or something that matches (don't ask me details, but I have been told that the POLO does). So no 6, v8 or subie etc etc. Of course I could always put any of these in afterwards, but then I am up for the cost of two engines and two installs, and none of the above are easy installs from what Autohaus have told me.  Not easy = expensive.

So I really have two options

1. find an old 912 engine and have that installed. Just a little bit boring, but the cheaper option for sure. Just out of interest what would a old 912 engine cost? In the world of old Porsche's I am assuming very little comes for much less than $10k.  Then I have the cost of rebuild and install? So $25 - $30k total? I know some here would  be do this themselves (but that aint me). I will still have a 40 + year old engine with unknown mileage and dubious performance

2. Polo - costs above include install from what I can tell at the moment. I dont get a fast car, but a step up 'from a regular 912 and I get a completely new engine. I paid $9k for the car so don't mind dropping a bit more for something a bit more interesting in the back. Early days yet, but the $20k premium seems ok. 

The issue here boys is that there is currently no engine. The only way to get compliance is to put an original 912 engine in it or something that matches (don't ask me details, but I have been told that the POLO does). So no 6, v8 or subie etc etc. Of course I could always put any of these in afterwards, but then I am up for the cost of two engines and two installs, and none of the above are easy installs from what Autohaus have told me.  Not easy = expensive.

So I really have two options

1. find an old 912 engine and have that installed. Just a little bit boring, but the cheaper option for sure. Just out of interest what would a old 912 engine cost? In the world of old Porsche's I am assuming very little comes for much less than $10k.  Then I have the cost of rebuild and install? So $25 - $30k total? I know some here would  be do this themselves (but that aint me). I will still have a 40 + year old engine with unknown mileage and dubious performance

2. Polo - costs above include install from what I can tell at the moment. I dont get a fast car, but a step up 'from a regular 912 and I get a completely new engine. I paid $9k for the car so don't mind dropping a bit more for something a bit more interesting in the back. Early days yet, but the $20k premium seems ok. 

Get the car to Australia as it stands - little cost aside from freight. Source a local water cooled VW engine (4cl 1600cc) and get the car running and registered - minimal cost. Once on the road, the world is your oyster....you can "tweak" once the car is in your name. If you end up ditching the VW engine you can always sell it. Motor swap

I would suggest if you put a $40k Polo motor in the car they will asses the improved value of the car when it comes in and you might get hit with a greater tax bill  

+1

You've already gone through the painful process of paying the Australian government more than necessary. Get the car here as is and source or import engines locally. If you have your heart set for a monster engine(Polo), then import that separately. 

There used to be a clause that if you modernised the car enough they can class it as a newer car, thus negating the age of the car and making it very hard to import, not saying it will happen but look into it first (or has this rule be removed?)

Not being rude here, but why a water cooled engine?  That creates a lot more work and wiring issues than installing an air cooled VW engine, which would both need chassis/engine mount modifications and need to be signed off by an engineer. Then it would be deemed as a custom engine, not to mention the engineering inspection and roadworthy headaches.

Source the correct engine type and be done with it, as I think you'll have dramas with any other engine that is not period correct for the car

Not being rude here, but why a water cooled engine?  That creates a lot more work and wiring issues than installing an air cooled VW engine, which would both need chassis/engine mount modifications and need to be signed off by an engineer. Then it would be deemed as a custom engine, not to mention the engineering inspection and roadworthy headaches.

Source the correct engine type and be done with it, as I think you'll have dramas with any other engine that is not period correct for the car

my Freudian typo - I meant an air cooled beetle motor !!!! me = dufus

Well this wasn't really supposed to happen.

Several false starts of projects over the last two years, but maybe the recent selling of a local yellow 'street find' 912 tipped the balance. That and the fact that this dusty, engine-less example was being saved and the seller only wanted $9K

This could be fun. A journey to be had back from the US, a possible 4 pot engine build on route, design and planning. The end game?  Not sure yet...

IMG_6240_zps9zvsvju2.jpg

IMG_6242_zpsyanzsuqo.jpg

IMG_6241_zpse3kdvigv.jpg

IMG_6243_zpsgjafrftt.jpg

I have been thinking on a similar project . To build an R super light with a short stroke 2.5 , about 190hp and around 900kg . Give a turbo a run.