912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

I had a 912 (RS Replica) with a VW Type 1 engine, not a bad little car, they do handle very well as they are quite light in the back with the 4cyl

My suggestion (taking into consideration what I think you'll be happy with)

Polo - Too pricey, and I couldn't stomach to see such a fine work of engineering in a ratty car than needs floor pans (btw have you worked out the cost of replacing these...?)....and hate to say it....rusty floor pans, can be the tip of the iceberg....ok I'm stopping now, back onto "envisioning, unicorns and rainbows///with glitter"

Original 912 engine....booooring...yawn, besides, this car has departed the originality days, so why try now

Enter....a neck snapping and period looking engine, 2.4 ltr VW engine with a Porsche style cooling fan setup....what $10K did you say??? Faaark ! Press 1 now....get that credit card out :lol:

http://bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/Engines/engines-super_flow.html

You'd be quite surprised how well this would go in a light car like that 912

I had a 912 (RS Replica) with a VW Type 1 engine, not a bad little car, they do handle very well as they are quite light in the back with the 4cyl

My suggestion (taking into consideration what I think you'll be happy with)

Polo - Too pricey, and I couldn't stomach to see such a fine work of engineering in a ratty car than needs floor pans (btw have you worked out the cost of replacing these...?)....and hate to say it....rusty floor pans, can be the tip of the iceberg....ok I'm stopping now, back onto "envisioning, unicorns and rainbows///with glitter"

Original 912 engine....booooring...yawn, besides, this car has departed the originality days, so why try now

Enter....a neck snapping and period looking engine, 2.4 ltr VW engine with a Porsche style cooling fan setup....what $10K did you say??? Faaark ! Press 1 now....get that credit card out :lol:

http://bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/Engines/engines-super_flow.html

You'd be quite surprised how well this would go in a light car like that 912

yeah - no unicorns cost $9k, but I'll reach out to the LA outlaw fraternity for a shop that can fix the pans and anything else that pops up Rob. That engine looks like it would easily fit, but would it get though compliance? I will ask the guys that know. Very shiney. Not quite as cool though

5 gauge - only the early fellas were typically 3

it's a 67 so not an early car. Love the green gauges. Bit confused by the orange lights over them, but there are a few aftermarket anomalies... 

yeah - no unicorns cost $9k, but I'll reach out to the LA outlaw fraternity for a shop that can fix the pans and anything else that pops up Rob. That engine looks like it would easily fit, but would it get though compliance? I will ask the guys that know. Very shiney. Not quite as cool though

This is probably the smartest thing you can do if you have contacts stateside that you can trust ^^ Get the expensive bodywork done over there, it will probably cost you a lot less if you do it wisely... but just be wary that our yardstick of good bodywork doesn't even register on the USA's radar, because their average standard is so crap... I would even reach out to the top of town guys like emory motorsports if you can, guys that know how to manipulate metal. Because as Rob said, floor pans is just the beginning usually, that rust gets into everything connecting the floor pans to to body, i.e.  rocker panels (sills), wheel wells, strut towers etc... take it from someone who's done such a resto. :lol: You may need some custom sections fabbed up to save you cutting out a whole rocker panel.  

Then there is the mexican way of just dropping the new ones over old, silicon and rivets... :) 

Edited by edgy

This is probably the smartest thing you can do if you have contacts stateside that you can trust ^^ Get the expensive bodywork done over there, it will probably cost you a lot less if you do it wisely... but just be wary that our yardstick of good bodywork doesn't even register on the USA's radar, because their average standard is so crap... I would even reach out to the top of town guys like emory motorsports if you can, guys that know how to manipulate metal. Because as Rob said, floor pans is just the beginning usually, that rust gets into everything connecting the floor pans to to body, i.e.  rocker panels (sills), wheel wells, strut towers etc... take it from someone who's done such a resto. :lol: You may need some custom sections fabbed up to save you cutting out a whole rocker panel.  

Then there is the mexican way of just dropping the new ones over old, silicon and rivets... :) 

Yep a whole can of worms having bodywork done in the states from afar .... by the way Tomnus congrats on buying well ...so far.....

""Then there is the mexican way of just dropping the new ones over old, silicon and rivets... :)""".. And what's wrong with that may I ask, it's over engineering compared to the Blaxland way of repairwork, just glueing!

I think it depends on why rusty.

leaking windows = floor plans

driving on salty roads = sills

some lucky people get both.   Most of the horror shows you see on UK forums seem to have solid pans.  Probably because they are galvanised cars - the early cars rotted away decades prior.

+1 on the dodgy US bodywork. In my years working in panel shops I saw quite a few imported cars from over there, and generally they were good from far, but far from good. Very rough work most of the time, and you didn't need to be an expert to pick it.

If you bring that in as-is, you're going to pay SFA tax/import on it.

id send the engine separate unless it jacks the freight cost massively.

Then again I'd just look for a local 2.7 or 3.0.

the only tax I would have to pay on the car would be GST and 10% on 9k aint that much. If I import the engine separately i would be up for GST and duty on the engine. If the car just happens to have an engine in it, as most cars seem to do, it is just treated as the one item and based on the value that I bought the car at. The documentation will just state i bought a car for $9k and it has a title.  So i am up for $900 in tax and the cost to ship the car.

Almost definitely leaning towards getting all work done in the US. The actual cost of the POLO engine is $17k. They then just charge $20+ for the assembly and installation. By the time I have found, bought, had rebuilt and installed an old 912 engine, I will be up for similar coin, and will have the collective power of a couple of vespas. POLO is 200hp +. 

2.7 or 3.0 is not an option as it won't get through compliance, and i don't see the point of buying and installing two engines. Costs would get crazy.

I would certainly get the engine done in the US, but I would be wary of getting the body done there.  The customs rules have lots of loop holes, but the customs guys aren't stupid. If the car comes into the country in decent condition, they won't believe the $9k purchase price and will want to see more documentary evidence. It could cause a whole world of pain. I believe that at best, you risk paying tax on the cost of the car plus the cost of all the work, while at worst, they consider it a rebuilt car and don't let it in (the Singer problem).

I believe your best bet would be to get the engine done and the disconnect the lid opening mechanism to stop prying eyes (but leave an ancillary way of opening it). Make sure the car will not start. Then I don't think they will question the $9k.

I would certainly get the engine done in the US, but I would be wary of getting the body done there.  The customs rules have lots of loop holes, but the customs guys aren't stupid. If the car comes into the country in decent condition, they won't believe the $9k purchase price and will want to see more documentary evidence. It could cause a whole world of pain. I believe that at best, you risk paying tax on the cost of the car plus the cost of all the work, while at worst, they consider it a rebuilt car and don't let it in (the Singer problem).

I believe your best bet would be to get the engine done and the disconnect the lid opening mechanism to stop prying eyes (but leave an ancillary way of opening it). Make sure the car will not start. Then I don't think they will question the $9k.

they would be a bit simple to mistake a dusty 912 for a Singer back date mate. Getting her washed today to see how she looks sans dust, but any body work will be underneath. Will probably maintain the patina 

Does a Polo engine qualify as correct for period or will Customs jump in and call it a modern replacement thus incurring extra duty and headaches?

I honestly don't think they will care but the reason for the polo in the first place is that it is a 4 cylinder and this is technically period correct for the 912 so can get through compliance this end. I might option the 'patina' finish ;) 

Does a Polo engine qualify as correct for period or will Customs jump in and call it a modern replacement thus incurring extra duty and headaches?

....and the same compliance issues as a 2.7 or 3.0 I would have thought? Do they have original 912 engine numbers?