Camshafts

Cheshire Cat

3 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

With all these aftermarket ECUs you must accept that you will end up doing a whole lot of retuning yourself.

The more you learn about what you are doing, the less you will rely on (or trust) "the pros" . Pros will already have a cosy relationship with a ECU supplier and dont want to move out of their comfort, or profit zone.

There is heaps of advice & help worldwide for the open source ECUs (such as MS2 &/or MS3) - people swap tips & maps all the time on US & UK forums like Pelican; which is directly related to your 911. A local Pro may have experience tuning Wolf ECUs on Subaru s, but his help is probably not what you want, or could afford, anyway.  

Well, if I would me a out a year ago I'd go with ms3 for sure. 

And I tend to agree with you about relationship between tuners and ecu manufacturers. 

Anyway I have pretty good ecu this days and don't really want to swap it on to something else since it just does the job. 

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Yes.

Advance some ignition might get a bit more power without knocks. 

6 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Advance some ignition might get a bit more power without knocks. 

Still running essentially standard Motronic so will be actually pulling some timing out (expecting about 8 degrees) when it finally goes to a new ECU and twin plug and will still net more power.  

On 8/15/2018 at 5:50 AM, Mike D'Silva said:

Ben

is this the same Ben I have been emailing? Why the DC35? Where did you buy your CP pistons?

I understand that you didn`t ask me but I`ll share my finds anyway :)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CP-Import-Pistons-Porsche-Porsche-3-0-SC-911-XP5001-/182298339066?hash=item2a71d3e6fa

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CP-Custom-Pistons-Any-Bore-CR-For-PORSCHE-911-TURBO-NITROUS-Engines/263268217181?hash=item3d4c02315d:g:EJ0AAOSwubZZ5rFv

27 minutes ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Thanks, I did see that, but the 91% feedback worries me... also, GST and customs.. 

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Thanks, I did see that, but the 91% feedback worries me... also, GST and customs.. 

Fair enough.

Do you have anyone in the U.S. to receive the parcel and to resent to your place without an invoice?

I will have to get the specs of my cams out there. Mine are a custom asymmetrical grind that is available to everyone now. They cost me an eye watering amount as I paid for tooling so we will see how they go when my engine finally gets back to me.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:06 PM, Mike D'Silva said:

Yeah, that’s the reason I went elsewhere. Cheapest I could find was design 911 in UK, $2398 landed and taxed. Ouch.

• 1 month later...

Sounds and looks good Mike!

Mine's running but is still in storage 300km away waiting for my tuner to work some magic.  It's been off the road since February so to say I'm looking forward to driving it again is a bit of an understatement.   

Nice work Mike, you dont muck about do you...!

I am still collecting parts, barrels being re-plated, cams being ground, cases being ultrasonically cleaned.....and the rolling shell will be sent off in a few weeks to be returned to its original colour (Gp white).

What are those throttle bodies worth out of interest?

Also, what did you do when it came to cleaning/checking the piston squirters?

15 hours ago, 88-ben-88 said:

Nice work Mike, you dont muck about do you...!

I am still collecting parts, barrels being re-plated, cams being ground, cases being ultrasonically cleaned.....and the rolling shell will be sent off in a few weeks to be returned to its original colour (Gp white).

What are those throttle bodies worth out of interest?

Also, what did you do when it came to cleaning/checking the piston squirters?

Ben

yes, I took a week off work.. the strip to the short block, clean and re-assembly took me a week. Then waiting for parts took another... had to backdate my oil lines to fit the headers.

google racehead engineering in sydney to get the cost of the throttles.. not too bad compared to some. 

As for piston squirters, I used the stomski tool. It's fiddly and works on 1 side of the case, better than the others, but when you see a lovely fine mist of oil spray out, you feel good and know it is worth the money.

• 2 months later...

Archived