Rear brake calipers

Mark1977

New to the forum and have just started working on a recently purchased 1977SC. I have removed the drivers side rear caliper to check the rubber boot and seals.The rear caliper had only 1 bolt so that was a lucky find. Then on closer inspection the thread appears to be larger in diameter than the top bolt that was removed. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked the other side and found that they all have  stainless helicoils fitted. My question is was this standard fit up from the factory or have all the rears on my car been patched up? Any ideas thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

They should have the same thread. Sounds like they've been patched up.

Sidenote - if your car is a 911SC, then it'll be a 78 SC (Porsches are referred to by model year, not by the year of production). The production year for a given model (year) starts in August, so I'm thinking your car was built in late 77, but is actually a 78SC. It's a common source of confusion, not helped by state transport departments who often classify them by year of production, not model year... Early G-series cars ran from 74-77, then 911SC from 78-83.

That 'detail' aside - SCs are fantastic model. The first of the proper bullet proof 911s.

I look forward to seeing a pic soon.

Archived