928 Air Conditioning Thermo Fan question

GoBigOne

Hi Bradley

First off, nice picture of your trusty steed B)

As a refrigeration mechanic I can tell you that the AC thermo fan or 'condensor fan' should cycle with the refrigerant compressor so as to transfer vapour compression cycle heat from the refrigerant to the environment. Basically no fan = no heat transfer. :huh: Sounds like your system is doing the right thing, no need to worry.

It's getting to that time of year when the aircon gets a good work out.

Keep Cool

Frank

Hi Bradley

First off, nice picture of your trusty steed B)

As a refrigeration mechanic I can tell you that the AC thermo fan or 'condensor fan' should cycle with the refrigerant compressor so as to transfer vapour compression cycle heat from the refrigerant to the environment. Basically no fan = no heat transfer. :huh: Sounds like your system is doing the right thing, no need to worry.

It's getting to that time of year when the aircon gets a good work out.

Keep Cool

Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for your prompt reply and ideas. You got yourself a nice ride there too by the look of it.

My thermo fan is`nt coming on every time i switch the A/C on. It does come on after the engine has warmed up after 10 mins or so even if the A/C isnt turned on. Looking at most other types of cars they all have the thermo fans come on as soon as the A/C is on and that is even if the car is cold. Not sure if there is a problem with the switch or not. Thanks again. Bradley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again

Could be that the fan is cycled by the refrigerant pressure switch to maintain a set 'head pressure' in the aircon system otherwise you may have a problem, perhaps check your fuses.

Frank

Hi Everyone,

The problem was the Temperature Control Switch ( small round device attached to the front of the radiator ).

These models do have the thermo fan set to come on when engine is at a certain temp. New switch was $93 plus fitting.

Thank you all for your help. Have a great Porsche day.

Archived