Porsche Boxster S

Allan

Hi Guys and Girls,

Looking at buying my first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster s with an original 40,000 on the clock.

The dilemma I am having at the moment is that when I do a revs check on the car there is no history whatsoever before 2009!

The vehicle is a repaired write-off due to malicious damage, basically someone went to town on the hood and interior panels with a stanley knife.

Their is no accident damage and the vehicle was not stolen, just vandalised by some jealous so and so.

This has all been repaired back to new and the car looks and drives like brand new.

I am having a PPI done next week at the local Porsche centre but I would really like to now the early history of this car.

Anyone have any idea what I can do next?

I have tried contacting Porsche and hoped that once I suppled the vin number they would at least be able to give me some sort of details on the car such as where it was sold new and any service details throughout the Porsche network within Australia!

Apparently this is a violation of the privacy act and they cannot or will not assist.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Allan

Hi Allan,

You're right that they're not allowed to tell you what's happened to the car because of privacy. What you'll also find is that the service history is purged after a few years (3 or 5 from memory), so they won't be able to see anything further back than that anyway.

What they might be able to tell you is the option codes for the car, so you can at least check what it came with.

The PPI should tell you everything important that you need to know.

The car's story reminds me of this:

bmw_revenge_2.jpg

medium_bmw_revenge.jpg

Details here: http://jalopnik.com/135675/let-that-be-a-lesson-revenge

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sandy.

G'day Allan,

Just be careful of repairable write offs as some insurance companies won't touch them. Check with your insurance company before you purahcse it. I used to be an automotive painter for 4 years and I saw a few guys get stiffed with repairable write offs.

Good luck really hope it all works out well for you

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the advice. I have spoken with my insurance company and they have no concerns provided the car has been inspected and re-registered.

At the moment everything will depend on the PPI happening Monday. Fingers crossed!

I will let you know the result.

Cheers,

Allan

Hi Allan,

The PPI should be able to tell you the extent of the damage but if the damage is what you say, given the car is nearly 10 years old, I'm sure some paint work would have been redone anyway.

I spoke to the lads at Porsche Australia about a 993 I was about to purchase and they told me it had been written off and it was noted on their data base. They also told me all about the car - all options etc. The only information they couldn't give me was the previous owners and the service history as they don't keep service history - but they would confirm anything I had - saved me from buying a dud. Your comment about "they cannot or will not assist" is more likely, "they couldn't provide some information due to the privacy laws or they simply don't have it".

It's very hard finding a car with a full history these days but generally the cars that do have a full history, you pay extra for.

As they say, you get what you pay for.

Good luck. Mac

Archived