Replacement Alternator

pommie

Hi all,

My Alternator is in need of replacement however i cant find a clear answer to an appropriate model that will fit my car.

The consensus appears that a Bosch is the way to go but all the web sites ive seen are pointing to US websites and some of them reference an engine number too. I read that the alternators differ depending on Manual or Auto also.

I have a Boxster S 2004 (Tiptronic). If anyone can advise the model of the Bosch alternator or point to me a web site it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

My Alternator is in need of replacement however i cant find a clear answer to an appropriate model that will fit my car.

The consensus appears that a Bosch is the way to go but all the web sites ive seen are pointing to US websites and some of them reference an engine number too. I read that the alternators differ depending on Manual or Auto also.

I have a Boxster S 2004 (Tiptronic). If anyone can advise the model of the Bosch alternator or point to me a web site it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just call Porsche South Sydney's Parts Department. Speak to Sarah Nash there and tell her your VIN. She will be able to look  up the correct part for you and give you a quote with the part numbers.

First get the correct Porsche part number and then compare it with the ones on the ECStuning website, ECS will have 3rd party alternatives including ones made by Bosch in the listing like so. The site also lists alternators for VIN numbers ranges.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-2004-Boxster-986-S-Convertible-H6_3.2L/Engine/Electrical/Alternator/

Thanks guys, i was going to ask about the option of getting a recon Alternator fitted. Would it be cheaper as they take my existing alternator and replace it with a recon rather than me buy a recon and pay somebody to fit it?

First get the correct Porsche part number and then compare it with the ones on the ECStuning website, ECS will have 3rd party alternatives including ones made by Bosch in the listing like so. The site also lists alternators for VIN numbers ranges.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-2004-Boxster-986-S-Convertible-H6_3.2L/Engine/Electrical/Alternator/

Thanks for the advice.

I just got the part number from Porsche but i can seem to match that to any Bosch No?  PO-997603012JX

Can anybody advise please.

Is that the Part No. that Sarah Nash provided you?

Found this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Genuine-OEM-Alternator-For-Boxster-911-Cayman-/291817184883?hash=item43f1a8de73:g:PW0AAOSwXeJYIics

Ad says that the part is interchangeable with 997603012JX.

Yeah Sarah Nash provided me the details.

Ive just checked that ebay link and entered the year of my car and it said the following:-

This part isn't compatible with 2004 Porsche Boxster S Convertible 2-Door 3.2L 3179CC H6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

Ive just checked that ebay link and entered the year of my car and it said the following:-

This part isn't compatible with 2004 Porsche Boxster S Convertible 2-Door 3.2L 3179CC H6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

You really can't rely on those ebay parts compatibility indicators.

People (sellers) put all sorts of wrong info in them.

You really have to research your part nos. for compatibility with your model independently. Sometimes can take a bit of time when things get tricky and apparently contradictory, but if you going aftermarket, there really isn't a short-cut.

Archived