Circa 1998 Sat Nav

Broadsword

I had to go to Salmon Street, Port Melbourne last night (yes, the go karts) so I thought I would try out the sat nav for a bit of fun.

At one stage I thought I was going to end up in Geelong when it was telling me to turn left at the non existent turn off.

Later it made me turn left in to a road that was a dead end.

Then it asked me to turn left in to a street and suggested making a U-turn at the first available opprotunity (when I could have turned right in the first place).

It was all good fun, but just goes to show how much our road network has changed since then.

So the question is, are up to date road map CD's available or can they be donwloaded from somewhere?

The system is a Phillips CarIn Navigation (possibly model no. 522).

Was this a standard option or an after market mod perhaps?

Thank you.

Hey Stephen, being bored at work.. I googled your Sat Nav unit. Not much available on the net about it at all (which you probably know). It does appear ( I could be wrong tho, you better do more research as I'd hate you to stuff up your unit) that the whereismaps work on your unit. Also seems it might also share some components with the VDO Dayton? Whereismaps should know if their maps are compatible with your unit, maybe drop them a line and ask them? They charge $165 to download the maps, so in their interest to know how they make money :D

Hopefully someone else has more info for you. I've got a VW RNS510 in my car and the amount of info on it on the net is just mind boggling. Seems maybe this option was not so popular back in the late 1990s

I suppose the big issue might be if your unit needs a firmware update in order to run a later map. Given it's discontinued, they probably havent updated FW in a long time

http://www.whereisma...crid:8807868146

EDIT - Geez sorry Stephen, what a run around... I just clicked thru the link above and whereis doesn't sell map updates for Porsche, you have to go to P yourself.

Archived