Inlet manifold swap.

Uncle

Getting some parts together for a turbo set up on my 3ltr and I've found a 3.6ltr 964 inlet manifold I can have for nothing. The only problem is i can't seem to nail down if it will bolt on. If its not a bolt on fit I'll keep looking. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

My car has Webers on it now so hence the need for a manifold.

Anyone know?

Guest vas930

Ok, you have a few options.

You also have a long list of issues with turbo charging your car.

Rather than me listing them all, you will find everything you need to know here. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/

Use the search and you will see what I mean.

You may want to think about buying a 76/77 3L 930 turbo engine.

This mod had no IC and would fit into your car just nice.

Good luck.

Hey Vas. Yep I've been a member on pelican since 08. While you do see a lot of knowledge on there you also see alot of umm, how can I put this? "American turbo charging" knowledge. Some of the stuff done on there with turbos was old tech here 10 years ago. Hell most US tuners are still MAF tuning LS1's. I fully understand people wanting to be authentic with builds etc and that's a completely different thing.

While I am not saying I'm a master of all things boost I have built for myself or been involved in a number of big horsepower turbo builds on anything from V8's to 12a's. Although 911 motors are new to me I must admit.

My plan is thus.

Turbo. Twin scroll GT35R with max boost set at a nice safe .8 of a bar. I'll plumb a second oil line into the water jacket and use a scavenge pump plumbed back into the motor not the oil tank.

Intercooler. I have a spare Process West cooler here that will support more power than this motor will ever make.

Fuel. Haltec injection Holley Blue lift pump and 2 044's as main pumps so I can use E85 on a e-flex tune. I've also got a set of 1000cc injectors in the tool box. E85 will help deal with the (8.9:1?) comp of the SC motor quite a bit. I've sorted the crank angle sensor already for the EFI.

Inlet manifold is clearly the 3.6ltr 964 manifold with the stock TB milled off and a aftermarket TPS ready TB used. I can piss about setting up the stock TB with TPS but its not really worth mucking around with. As it turns out Clewett make a simple bolt on converter for the 3.6 three bolt manifold to work with the early two bolt heads.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=19

Exhaust is still pencil at this stage. I want to keep fab work to a minimum if I can so I'd rather find an off the shelf answer. But if need be I can make one up.

Build cost should be less than an old 930 motor and I'm not looking for big power just a little more than NA is going to yield and the twin scroll should almost completely get rid of any lag.

I am all ears if I've missed anything as you never ever stop learning!

Guest vas930

Sounds great.

However, GT35 on a 3L is to big.

You need to make that IC fit.

If you are not looking for big power you dont need the efi and GT35.

I will be shocked if you can do this build for less than a used 930 engine.

Headers and all the small bits you need with that efi is going to cost plenty.

Are you going to change the trans ?

You will blow that stock trans with even 300hp.

I would go with a stock 930 engine, even a non IC 3L and trans.

Or put a GT30 on your 3L with about .5 bar boost.

Your trans will survive and 270hp will be reliable and fast in that light car.

This is just my opinion.

If you do what you say , please make a thread of it.

It will be great to watch.

Good luck :)

No a twin scroll 35 is the same turbo you would use on a 2.5ltr STI motor after placing the VF35 in the bin. You're thinking of something like a GT35 off a XR6 turbo very much not the same thing. The whole point of the TS is to build boost without needing large gas volumes.

I'll start a thread once I get the parts together.

You give me a price you can get a 930 motor for and I'll let you know how I go ;)

My ballpark is 7.5K

Guest vas930

Oh, sorry Uncle.

Twin scroll GT35R, my bad.

Sounds like a great build.

7.5k would be a great result.

Look forward to the thread.

What is the power goal ?

Trans ?

Archived