911 (996) CPS Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

slknv

So my 996 refused to start about a month ago. No codes (apart from pre-existing codes), no fuses blown, and no movement of the tacho when cranking over the engine. I figure a bad CPS is the culprit so decided to replace it. Took me about 2 hours, mainly trying to stop the dog getting in the way and making notes to myself so I wouldn't f#@% up the process. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem I had.

*Tried to upload a whole lot of pics but there's a size limit - for a full DIY guide see my blog http://www.dtmtune.com/2018/07/porsche-911-996-cps-crankshaft-position.html *

Anyway, you've jacked up the rear left of the car, removed rear left wheel and found the CPS here. Clean up the bolt first to make sure you get a clean connection, and use a 5mm hex on a long extension socket to remove the bolt holding the CPS in. 

IMG_20180721_101903_HHT.thumb.jpg.ace23fe0a8c9ceecc86ea18f70d4d11a.jpg

Follow the cable up and the other end is attached firmly to a bracket with a 10mm bolt. Unbolt this, unclip the harness and transfer the bracket to your new CPS.

IMG_20180721_111114.thumb.jpg.8048a6e9e2639b2197257778d7321299.jpg

Reinstallation is the reverse. I was able to start my car immediately after this process (phew!), however I still have a hot start problem - the next project is starter-alternator cable replacement.

Video of my DIY is here: 

Archived