LED's and 6V systems

Merv

My car has an original 6V electrical system.  It all works well and I have a (hidden) 6V CDI unit that means it has max spark at start up and no points wear/maintenance.  However, I have been told that the indicators and brake/parking lights are a bit dull, particularly on very sunny days.  I upgraded the wattage a little but then decided to go to LEDs.  The 356 Registry in the US has some nice made-for-purpose rear units for teardrop and beehive fittings, but they are not cheap.

I contacted BMH Trading in Brisbane who provide a good array for 6V electrical components and got some very reasonably priced LEDs for the indicators (single) and brake/rear lamps (double).  The problem of course is that the existing thermal flasher unit does not play nicely with LEDs.  So I got one of these electronic flasher units below (available from various sources).  They are three pin and plug straight in with the addition of the pictured earth wire.  Lots of bright clear light all round now for very little outlay.

I am not the first to do this, but I thought that the flasher unit was a useful addition for 6V, NEG earth systems.

s-l300.jpg

Archived