996 Power steering advice

Mudgeeman

Hi all,

my 3.4 manual 996 at 150,000kms has developed heavy steering at start up. I cannot find any leak. The level of pentosin was a little low so I topped it up with new pentosin and ensured it wasn't over filled. Same result, heavy at parking speed when cold. Any advice? 

It could be a weak pump or what is sometimes that is called 'morning sickness' when the PS fluid is cold. There can be leakage internally due to the seals contracting or being worn.  After warming up they can seal better, but not for ever. I know on my past 997 the same happened and then a seal leak occurred. Porsche wanted a motza for a new rack but I had the existing one re-built at reasonable cost. The rebuilder suggested that too much hard lock to lock turning was not good for them. 

Not that easy to remove the pump but it can be done at home with then right tools and the ability to re-fit the drive belt on the motor.  https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/142967-diy-ps-pump-reservoir-change.html 

I have done it - once. However, if the pump is not leaking, the source may be well the rack itself.  I would take it to a steering shop and get a diagnosis from them as they can test pressure and see things we can't.