Remote central locking

TBone

Hi and thanks for any help you can provide. I have recently acquired a 1998 996. I have noticed that when I activate the remote locking on the key I hear the sounds of both doors locking and lights in car go on/ off but drivers door doesn't actually lock or un lock. The passengers does however work and the red light comes on dash. If you didn't check the door you would never know it didn't lock drivers door?? Is this a remote setting that just needs re setting or a lock fault? I briefly looked in door but appears to be a sealed unit and didn't want to tamper any further. ( this usually proves the least expensive option to take!!) the door however does lock and un lock with correct light changes in car with the key used manually in door lock. Thanks again for any advise.

I would hazard a guess that the solenoid that activates the lock in the drivers door has failed.

A New Door lock mechanism(which includes the solenoid) is about $300.00 if you get it from a decent parts supplier overseas.

If, for fun you get a price from Porsche Australia it will be about $8-900.

I would replace the battery in the key fob unit first as sometimes a low battery results in weird-ass stuff like you describe.

If, that doesn't cure the problem, Then I would replace the door lock mechanism.

Heres a good used one from the States:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-996-Carrera-Right-Door-Lock-Actuator-Handle-Latch-Mechanism-/190785903803?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item2c6bb9dcbb&vxp=mtr

Yep, not the battery then.

I have done some research and it seems the RHS fails on these regularly. Regardless of LHD/RHD cars.

Should be a doddle to remove and replace, just make sure you get a tested working unit if buying secondhand.

I'm not sure whether it being a diddle to remove is good or bad???

Was also thinking... If its the actuator how come it will still send signal to the LHS door? Whether I use the key or remote it closes the LHS door. But the RHS will only lock with the key. I have purchase the unit you found on eBay wasserkuhl. Got it for $85. Is this some thing an average Joe could replace or get someone to do it?

I guess I'll know soon enough if that the problem.

Archived