996 navigation

TBone

Hi again. I am enjoying my early 996 immensely ( when my wife does not have it!). I am thinking of putting a porsche navigation system in. I see them pop up on eBay etc. if I get a unit with the nav cd unit as well as the display screen from a 996 will this work? I realise I have to move the heater AC panel down to the bottom of dash panel, but is it a simple exercise? I have also seen adaption kits for the trim on eBay as well. If this would work then how would I go about getting a current porsche / Siemens Nav CD?? Any help appreciated.

Hi TBone....The problem is early sat nav units are now over 10 years making them very old technology, the very early ones PCM 2.0, 2.1 where CD based and they no long support current maps.. The last version of maps doesn't even show east link.

ANything newer becomes DVD based but can't be retro fitted to early model cars as they have to be supported via fibre optic cable.

You're best solution is to look into an aftermarket unit or stick with a portable unit....

Archived