Replacement recommendations for A008s

Wobbly

Hey folks ... well, I just picked up a 74 911 and I'm in the process of getting it through a roadworthy. Nothing major, but the front tyres are below the wear markers and need to be replaced. The car itself has sat around in a garage for quite a while and is still wearing a set of yokahama A008s (225 fr 255 rr). If I'm only changing the fronts, anyone know a good comparable / compatible tyre to run in todays models?

Cheers!

:)

Hey Wobbly,

Being a 74 car, I'm assuming it has 15" Fuchs?

15"s are much harder to find tyres for than 16"s for example ('77 cars onwards I think) however when I got my '75, the dealer put on a fresh set of Bridgestone Potenza's which in between sets of Dunlop R rated tyres for the track, I have found to be excellent. I'm no expert on tyres, and thus far the advice I've had from Stuckey Tyres in Brunswick has been very good.

More to the point - A NEW 911 -Well done! How about a couple of pics to show him/her off?!

All the best...

Kerry

The wheels are 15" and 16" simmons (front/rear) ... I use bridgestone RE001s on my regular car (turbo forester - my rapid shopping cart) and like them a lot, as does my brother on his turbo nissan.

Looks like I can get a 215 or 225 in a 60 series, I think they're 55 series currently.

Bridgestone have nothing for me in rears though :(

Wonder if its worth just getting something cheap and looking for 17s instead??

So I've been doing a bit of looking around and it looks like the best options I'm turning up at the moment are Kuhmo KU36 and Toyo T1-R ... I can get a 265 rear in the Kuhmo but it has to be special ordered ... can get a 245 T1-R off the shelf so to speak. I've stuck on a pair of RE001 205's on the front, which was mainly to get a decent tyre and get it through the roadworthy, so I could now add either the Toyo or Kuhmo rear, or swap out all corners and sell on the near new RE001's at a decent price. Any experience with running different front/rear tyres from different manufacturers? Any known profile combination no-no's or are the selections relatively benign to handling?

• 2 months later...

So I've been doing a bit of looking around and it looks like the best options I'm turning up at the moment are Kuhmo KU36 and Toyo T1-R ... I can get a 265 rear in the Kuhmo but it has to be special ordered ... can get a 245 T1-R off the shelf so to speak. I've stuck on a pair of RE001 205's on the front, which was mainly to get a decent tyre and get it through the roadworthy, so I could now add either the Toyo or Kuhmo rear, or swap out all corners and sell on the near new RE001's at a decent price. Any experience with running different front/rear tyres from different manufacturers? Any known profile combination no-no's or are the selections relatively benign to handling?

The Toyo T1-R is definitely my choice! I have been running them on my 930 for a while now and they perform brilliantly (they are also one of the only options left for 930 owners with the standard 16 Fuchs 9-inch rear rim). I've even had them on the track occasionally and they held their own pretty well for a road tyre. Andrew at Traction Tyre & Suspension is doing great deals for PCV members on these tyres (Phone: 9764 2811).

Cheers Michael

Archived