Putting at 3.6l into a 3.4l 996

jettson

Greetings,

So you have a 3.4 M96 engine that has an issue. Are you asking if you can install a 3.6 (GT3) engine into the car, or a later 3.6 M96 engine? The GT3 engine is a different design and presents some challenges for integration to the standard carrera. The later M96 3.6 would essentially drop in with little difference to the 3.4. There would be some changes required to integrate the engine(and transmission if you have a Tiptronic) ECU. You will need the 3.6 ECU for it to work correctly.

Who has done the diagnosis on the 3.4? even though there is oil in the coolant, it may not be a terminal failure.

You have some options:

1) Possible oil/water heat exchanger leak or failure, can be replaced

2) Possible head gasket failure, can be replaced

3) or, finally, replacement engine if its a terminal failure.

If you haven't already done so, take the car to Buik Motors in Richmond and have them assess the car.

Cheers for the advice,

I have yet had someone look at it but if it was terminal I was wondering if this was an options. I know where Buik Motors are have you found there rates fair? 

This is an option, yes. However I would seek an independant evaluation of the problem before spending 20k+ replacing the engine.

Buiks rates are very fair, however its not really about the rates, its about using someone who knows what they are doing and that you can trust. You will find both these attributes at Buiks.

Book the car in as soon as possible to determine exactly what the problem is, if your oil level is not dropping dramatically, you may find that it is not a terminal issue.

Archived