RUF Sports Wheel

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi All,

I am selling my Steering Wheel (RUF brand)  - picture is as follows.  It is in excellent condition.

Note, this is for the steering wheel & centre horn pad only and not the adaptor boss.  Looking for $450 ono.  Will consider part trade an original Porsche 911- 964 Steering wheel (from years 1989 - 1992).

thank you.

IMG_3788.JPG

Hepkat. Don't know if this going to be welcome news or not...

My 964RS has that exact same steering wheel on it, minus the embossed RUF. I know that there is also an RS embossed wheel, but this is of a different, possibly standard, shape - the one with the horizontal rectangle box/ horn in the middle. I have never looked to find out which is "correct" for my car as I prefer the one you had as it suits my bigger hands better, but........ :) ah well, it's all part of the to-ing and fro-ing of Pcar car interchangeability I guess!

Btw, your car looks great, maybe see you both up there for the next Xmas party or so,

Kerry

Guest hepkat63

Hepkat. Don't know if this going to be welcome news or not...

My 964RS has that exact same steering wheel on it, minus the embossed RUF. I know that there is also an RS embossed wheel, but this is of a different, possibly standard, shape - the one with the horizontal rectangle box/ horn in the middle. I have never looked to find out which is "correct" for my car as I prefer the one you had as it suits my bigger hands better, but........ :) ah well, it's all part of the to-ing and fro-ing of Pcar car interchangeability I guess!

Btw, your car looks great, maybe see you both up there for the next Xmas party or so,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

It has been an interesting 'search' for sure - and yes, it would be great to catch up !

As I am on holidays i have had the time to cruise around the net and other forums in particular. The RUF wheel i have now - more to the point, that shape RS wheel (also 930 type) are a very popular swap out.  In fact, on one forum it was the first thing people swapped out - along with cup mirrors !   However, from what I have found through my research - the 1990 had two wheels listed and depending on where they car was destined was what was used.  Starting 1990 (i believe) the US mandated that all their cars had to have airbags - and the wheel for that market was the one with the thicker middle pad (containing airbag).  The cars destined for elsewhere in europe and ROW had the thinner (non-airbag) middle pad.  Of course, wheels were swapped around like anything - but I managed to contact one of the former owners of my car and he confirmed it was indeed the thinner pad wheel. 

I guess all this is fairly superfluous to most Porsche owners - but I am trying (obviously) to keep my car as dead stock original as possible.

regards

steve

Archived