996 GT3 Mk II CS Flywheel Question

996Nick

Hi guys, I'm very close to buying a 996 GT3 Mk II CS. It's a tarmac rally prepared car, with some modifications to suit. Most of these I can live with but one I cannot is the flywheel / clutch. The clutch is aftermarket and is a cushioned button clutch (of some sort) which is a ***** to use. It's grabby and shudders and is a pig for anything but for wheel spin off the line. Not helping this is the flywheel. I'll need to confirm if this was 'upgraded' with the clutch replacement, but in any case I'm told that CSs came with single mass flywheel and the gearboxes at idle chatter away (the car I'm looking at is very loud).

So, my question.....The clutch I'm not so concerned about in so much that I just need to get a new one. Expensive but an easy fix. The bit I'm not so sure about is the flywheel. My questions around this are as follows:

Can anyone confirm that Mk II CSs definitely came with single mass flywheels?

If so can you confirm that this makes the gearbox chatter at idle and light throttle / load?

Is it possible to fit a dual mass flywheel to address the chatter?

How much would this affect throttle response (if possible)

Are there any other issues I should be aware of in doing this (again, if possible)

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Can anyone confirm that Mk II CSs definitely came with single mass flywheels? Yes CS is fitted with a single mass flywheel.

If so can you confirm that this makes the gearbox chatter at idle and light throttle / load? Again yes. The LWFW (single mass) will give gearbox chatter & more so when the car is warm & the oil viscosity has changed. Is it possible to fit a dual mass flywheel to address the chatter? Yes but this will affect throttle response.

How much would this affect throttle response (if possible) See above.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of in doing this (again, if possible)

I would definitely keep the single mass flywheel. I am sure a clutch plate change together with the correct pressure plate will address your shudder/grab issues. I run a single mass LWFW and uprated pressure plate/clutch plate in my 996TT. Significant improvement in throttle response (also needed to adjust the DME idle setting).

Here's the Dual mass as removed

P1010008-1.jpg

Here's the clutch/pressure plate & LWFW which I fitted.

P1010005.jpg

And here's the fun bit...installing it :)

P1010010.jpg

Thanks for that. I've bought the car and hope to get it by end week. As part of the sale the gb is coming out and the clutch plate is being replaced with something more suitable. LWFW is being retained and I'm hoping the pressure plate is in re-usable order.

Funny thing is that on 911uk.com forum they're all swearing the std flywheel is a CS is a dual mass. Could be a difference in markets.....?

Anyhow, thanks for you assistance.

Archived