Air conditioning service Melbourne

JR80911

Hi guys, been on pelican for a while I was wondering where all the oz porschefiles hang out. And then I discovered this site! I feel like I've struck gold!

So - I've got an sc and the Ac works but it needs to be looked at. if budget permits I wouldn't mind upgrading. Anybody recommend any shops where I can get this done?

I'm in ormond. So if anybody is nearby, feel free to say hi!

Thanks peter. That's the post that inspired me register to this actually. My concern is this - I'm pretty new to tooling around in my own car (read: absolute novice). So, while I'd like to give it a crack I'd also like a back up plan if I totally mess it up. The extent of my handiwork so far is the replacement of that long heater hose that goes across the motor and reconnecting the windscreen washer lines!

Also if I remember correctly you went with retro air. I take it it's a relatively straightforward install?

JR,

If you have the right tools, it's pretty straight forward.  Mine already had AC so it was easier than starting from scratch.  Replacing the hoses that run underneath the floor pan is the worst job as it is dirty and slow going if you rely on car ramps to get it off the ground to work under.  Expect to get filthy dirty!

If I was to do the same on my next car, I would get the hoses made up locally rather than import the hoses made up as I think you would save money.  However after saying that, this is only the second AC setup I have ever installed in a car - the last time was in 1991 so I have forgotten a fair bit -  and sometimes buying a complete setup saves time and gives you confidence to have a go in the first place.

From what I have heard, installing a Retroair setup yourself saves between a grand or two but does take a week or two if your only doing a bit each night after work and then taking it somewhere to be gassed.  It also helps if your car isn't a DD so it does matter if its off the road for a while. 

I've still got some Duel Kuehl under dash vents to put in mine but I reckon it will be winter before I get around to it! 

Gotta but the kit first. From what I read most people recommend doing the whole lot at once. I'm not sure my budget will extend that far so I might break it down to a component upgrade at a time I reckon. Thoughts welcome.

The main problem of breaking it down in stages is the cost of having the system degassed and regassed each time you do an up grade. Budget about 300 bucks each time.

Maybe buy a bit at a time until you have everything, then wamo! :-)

Archived