5 brake light mod.

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Decided to give the five brake light mod a go today... an hour later all working perfectly. This is a very easy modification and I highly recommend it. How I achieved it:

1. took out rear reflector panel
2. obtained two light sockets from and old tail light I had - these are the two filament ones (you can use single filament, but I wanted lights and brake lights)
3. removed the right hand tail light and disconnected it.
4. using a test light, i put on the lights and then checked which prong was positive. it was the white/blue one
5. Then, i put on the brake pedal (using a brick to hold it) and again, using the test light noted which one was positive - it was the blue one.
6. Armed with this information, i stripped back the wires (note, I did not CUT them, just stripped back some insulation. I then put solder on the wires where they were stripped back.
7. I then cut two pieces of wire - one red, one black (as the wires from the 'donor' filaments had red/black and brown wires) about two feet long.
8. I soldered the red and black wires to the wires I had just stripped (red for lights, black for brakes)
9. Taped all the wires up/insulated them, then fed the wires through the hole towards the middle light panel.
10. I then need to find a common earth. I again put the lights on and using the positive wire - found the earth from the reverse lights using the test light - which was the thick brown wire.
11. I stripped back the brown wire insulation and again, soldered it.
12. I then ran a wire from the brown soldered common earth to the brown wires (so two of them) to each filament.
13. Measuring the red and black wires I had poking through, I stripped back the insulation where they 'passed' the first filament and soldered the red and black wires.
14. At the end of the red and black wires - I then soldered the other ends to the 2nd filament.
15. I then tested it all - everything worked first time.
16. I then taped up all the wires and tucked them all in nice and neat.

Job done. So now i have four tail lights and five brake lights.

IMG_4769.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG
IMG_4771.JPG

That's great!  Looks so much better!

I did a slightly similar modification on the Boxster with the rear foglight.  I ran a wire from the right hand foglight across to the left hand foglight, so they both come on now.  All the light fittings were already there including a light globe.  Somewhere in the wiring, the left and / or right lights are disabled, depending on which country the car is going to.  Despite having a wiring diagram and extensive searching, I could not find the connection, so it was easier just to jump the active light to the disabled light.

Archived