2001 911 Tyre Question

Whipit

Hi All, just bought my first Porsche (yay), so apologies if I ask a couple of naive questions. Its a 2001 911 Cabrio with 16,000k's and 18" wheels, seal grey and tip tronic. Its pretty much in showroom condition and lived underneath a porsche blanket most of its life. It has been serviced by the Sydney Porsche centre but will now live in Adelaide.

I am going to use it as a daily driver. Just a couple of questions that I would really appreciate help with.

1. It has Continental tyres, are they OEM? When I replace them (soon) can you recomend tyres (brand/type) that I should go for?

2. My car has unusual "911" badges on the rear (not Carrera), and a single silver colour front porsche bonnet badge. I am told these were special order when bought new, can anyone shed any light on them, were they just an option?

3. Now for the "silly" question. I am quite surpised at just how bloody fast it is (truly) and how freely it revs to 7000 rpm. How "bullet proof" are these cars, should I really limit my right foot, or can i enjoy it whenever I like. I am not sure if that makes sense, ie how relaible are they if you give them a squirt from time to time.

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to joining the Porsche community.

Gary

Hi Whipit

Nice work getting a Cab'

Yes they do go incredibly quick, a Porsche is basicaly a Go Kart with luxury options!

Sounds like you have some factory options with the badge. There should be a sticker under the lid of the front bonnet or in the owners booklet with a list of numbers identifying the options.

The tyres are probably still the originals at only 16,000 K's

There will be a manufacturing date on one side of the tyre wall with the week/year of manufacture in an oval or rectangle type stamp about an inch long. Not a good idea to drive hard on a tyre more than 4 years old... The tyres being Conti's are probably N rated (an N in the tyre specification number) which means that the tyre was developed by Porsche and Continental to suit the car (can be crictical for insurance to use the factory recommended tyre).

The Porsche is well known for being a car you can drive to the track, rev the nuts off for a day, drive home and then drive to work the next day. The most important thing is to maintain the engine oil changes, even more so if you like the upper limits of the rev range.

Enjoy the car, its a Porsche, its made to be driven, not hidden!

Hi Whipit

Nice work getting a Cab'

Yes they do go incredibly quick, a Porsche is basicaly a Go Kart with luxury options!

Sounds like you have some factory options with the badge. There should be a sticker under the lid of the front bonnet or in the owners booklet with a list of numbers identifying the options.

The tyres are probably still the originals at only 16,000 K's

There will be a manufacturing date on one side of the tyre wall with the week/year of manufacture in an oval or rectangle type stamp about an inch long. Not a good idea to drive hard on a tyre more than 4 years old... The tyres being Conti's are probably N rated (an N in the tyre specification number) which means that the tyre was developed by Porsche and Continental to suit the car (can be crictical for insurance to use the factory recommended tyre).

The Porsche is well known for being a car you can drive to the track, rev the nuts off for a day, drive home and then drive to work the next day. The most important thing is to maintain the engine oil changes, even more so if you like the upper limits of the rev range.

Enjoy the car, its a Porsche, its made to be driven, not hidden!

Cheers, very useful info :)

Archived