Hidden rust repairs.

HECTOR

Hi guys,

Am new to this forum and havent really had time to go thru all the posts so sorry if im repeating a well warn topic.I am in the market for a good 911SC (late 70s early 80s) and notice most for sale have been resprayed.This isnt really a problem for me but is there a way of checking whether the vehicles have had any rust repairs etc.Just shudder of the thought of buying a newly resprayed restored car only to have rust problems in a year or so.Also does anyone have thoughts on those electronic rust preventers for cars?

Thanx to all who take the time to respond and hopefully if I can find the right 911 we'll catch up some time.

There has been a lot of discussion re rust preventers and the consensus is that they are not proven to be effective. A good restorer will have kept photos of before, during and after the restoration, so ask for these. Always get an independent inspection by a reputable restorer. I have seen a glorious respray 911 with a completely rusted out floor!

ALso Hector, take a magnet with you. No stick to the area= bog, any bubbles=rust, get the car on a hoist and go over the sills, inner guards, kidney bowls and floor pan.Look for repairs.Dry climate cars are safest(Canberra for example).

Archived