Looking at First Porsche 05 997

Davhen

Hi I am new to this. I am looking at a 05 997 in Melbourne.

It has done 51000 k and has been to dealer twice in this time.

Will be serviced by seller at PCM prior to purchase.

Should I get PCM to do an Appraisal?

Cannot get p warranty but can get extended 3 year warranty (sentinal)

BTW does the PCM do bluetooth as I want to use as non city daily driver

Hi Davhen,

Welcome to the forum.

I wish I could help you out with some advice, but you are probably going for a bit more modern then what most of us on the forum have.

Given your probable outlay, the cost of an appraisal is a small outlay for piece of mind.

Good luck.

Hi Davhen,

Welcome to the forum.

I wish I could help you out with some advice, but you are probably going for a bit more modern then what most of us on the forum have.

Given your probable outlay, the cost of an appraisal is a small outlay for piece of mind.

Good luck.

Hi Davhen,

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.

Oops added reply before comment. Thanks for the reply Douglas. Will take your advice tho.

Following the adage to stretch to the best you can ??? afford???

Hi Davhen

To me the figures don't add up. A 911 serviced twice in almost 6 years?? I'd want to know how many owners, who sold it originally...does it have period for the year Melb number plates. PCM will have the car on file but maybe not up to 5 years. If the car was owned by a car wholesaler/dealer often the km's don't add up to year, km's service schedule. Don't know for sure but I'd say service scedules on a 997 would be 10-15,000 kms. They should irrelevant of km's be serviced every 12 months. On what little info you've given I wouldn't look at it unless it was under the odds in price...

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Davhen

To me the figures don't add up. A 911 serviced twice in almost 6 years?? I'd want to know how many owners, who sold it originally...does it have period for the year Melb number plates. PCM will have the car on file but maybe not up to 5 years. If the car was owned by a car wholesaler/dealer often the km's don't add up to year, km's service schedule. Don't know for sure but I'd say service scedules on a 997 would be 10-15,000 kms. They should irrelevant of km's be serviced every 12 months. On what little info you've given I wouldn't look at it unless it was under the odds in price...

Dean

Yeah, I agree with Dean. I'm more used to older Porsche's, but to me, service history on these cars is everything. Mileage and age is less important to me than proof that the oil has been changed when it should have and any issues found during the service is rectified or at least noted. Even if the car is hardly driven its still important that the car is serviced. If there are gaps in the service history, you have to assume the worst and use it into your purchase negotiation. A neglected Porsche can be a painful experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Davhen

I am also new to Porsche ownership. I recently bought an '05 997 in Melbourne.

Let me know if you are still looking at the one above and if you want I can tell you more about what I did in purchasing our car.

Greg

Davhen

I am also new to Porsche ownership. I recently bought an '05 997 in Melbourne.

Let me know if you are still looking at the one above and if you want I can tell you more about what I did in purchasing our car.

Greg

Thanks Greg, as it happens (as you would expect) I am still interested in the 997 and would love ti hear about your experience.

Thanks t the other posters as well. The service record is sketcchy but i have been able to get PCM to look at the car and give a list of problems.

Thanks Greg, as it happens (as you would expect) I am still interested in the 997 and would love ti hear about your experience.

Thanks t the other posters as well. The service record is sketcchy but i have been able to get PCM to look at the car and give a list of problems.

Davhen

I bought my 997 from PCM after much looking around for a suitable car.

Prior to buying the car I had the car inspected by Weltmeister who then talked me through the issues with the car. PCM had offered to get one of their service staff to talk me through the car, but I wanted an independent assessment, which PCM were more than happy to arrange for me.

For another car that I was considering buying, I also had it inspected by Weltmeister, who identified lots of issues with it even though it was a similar spec, age and kms as the one I eventually bought. This car was also looked after each year by PCM. Weltmeister recommended that I not buy the car.

Whilst Weltmeister was not cheap, as a first time Porsche buyer, I wanted some extra piece of mind prior to purchasing. Their workshop is also an interesting place for a browse.

I may have paid a premium buying from PCM, but some of the advantages was:

- they resprayed the front bar after I agreed to purchase so that all the small chips would be removed

- prior to puting the car on the floor, they installed a new windscreen

- it comes with a 12 month Porsche factory warranty and road assist

- customer service was very good, and even when we had a small issue after purchase they fixed it quickly.

In relation to servicing, PCM told me that Porsche recommend 2 yearly service intervals. PCM encourage you to service every 12 months (I think more for their benefit than the car), but I think it also depends on how little you drive (more Kms is probably better for the car). I would have thought that 51,000 kms is not sufficient to warrant more servicing than every 2 years, but suggest you talk to Weltmeister about this.

Porsche will provide a factory warranty for a car up to 10 years old. Every year prior to renewing the warranty they will check the car and fix any problems.

In relation to the PCM, it does not come with bluetooth, but some cars have a phone module installed. If so there is a space for a sim card and then you have to forward your mobile to the car phone. One problem is that the speaker from the phone comes out on the left hand side and not the drivers side. However, I have not looked at the manual to see if I can change this (the manual for the PCM is huge and everything seems programable).

If you really want bluetooth intergrated into the PCM I know someone that has done so (to a '05 997) but it cost something like $1500. A cheaper alternative may be a bluetooth headset? or a mount that clips onto the window or airvent. I tried the window mount but the front window is relatively small so, the phone takes up lots of space, unlike window mounts for phone/gps that we have in our 4wds.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other queries.

Best of luck with the purchase

Greg

Davhen

I bought my 997 from PCM after much looking around for a suitable car.

Prior to buying the car I had the car inspected by Weltmeister who then talked me through the issues with the car. PCM had offered to get one of their service staff to talk me through the car, but I wanted an independent assessment, which PCM were more than happy to arrange for me.

For another car that I was considering buying, I also had it inspected by Weltmeister, who identified lots of issues with it even though it was a similar spec, age and kms as the one I eventually bought. This car was also looked after each year by PCM. Weltmeister recommended that I not buy the car.

Whilst Weltmeister was not cheap, as a first time Porsche buyer, I wanted some extra piece of mind prior to purchasing. Their workshop is also an interesting place for a browse.

I may have paid a premium buying from PCM, but some of the advantages was:

- they resprayed the front bar after I agreed to purchase so that all the small chips would be removed

- prior to puting the car on the floor, they installed a new windscreen

- it comes with a 12 month Porsche factory warranty and road assist

- customer service was very good, and even when we had a small issue after purchase they fixed it quickly.

In relation to servicing, PCM told me that Porsche recommend 2 yearly service intervals. PCM encourage you to service every 12 months (I think more for their benefit than the car), but I think it also depends on how little you drive (more Kms is probably better for the car). I would have thought that 51,000 kms is not sufficient to warrant more servicing than every 2 years, but suggest you talk to Weltmeister about this.

Porsche will provide a factory warranty for a car up to 10 years old. Every year prior to renewing the warranty they will check the car and fix any problems.

In relation to the PCM, it does not come with bluetooth, but some cars have a phone module installed. If so there is a space for a sim card and then you have to forward your mobile to the car phone. One problem is that the speaker from the phone comes out on the left hand side and not the drivers side. However, I have not looked at the manual to see if I can change this (the manual for the PCM is huge and everything seems programable).

If you really want bluetooth intergrated into the PCM I know someone that has done so (to a '05 997) but it cost something like $1500. A cheaper alternative may be a bluetooth headset? or a mount that clips onto the window or airvent. I tried the window mount but the front window is relatively small so, the phone takes up lots of space, unlike window mounts for phone/gps that we have in our 4wds.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other queries.

Best of luck with the purchase

Greg

Thanks very much Greg for your detailed post.

The car has been looked at by PCM and the car was at another dealer. Most of the problems are normal wear and tear, not severe and if attended to do not appear to be "deal Breakers" I was put onto a great chap Jon who has gone through the bluetooth and iPod options.

As the car has had a couple of previous owners the p warranty is not available!! On balance tho I think it will end up in the garage!

Thanks again and I hope you are enjoying your new car!!

David

Archived