Boring and nikasil you cylinders

ozracer

Anyone done that here before instead of buying off the shelf seems like electrosil in Melbourne is the only place that does it and it's just over 400 bucks a cylinder to go from 95mm to 98mm which is over 2400 bucks. A number of places in the states do it for 1200 dollars almost seems worth whole sending them to get done in the USA I know one company in oz that does it. People thoughts?

Why send it there for. It'll end up costing you the same amount anyway and take 3 times longer. postage to the states will cost you easy 300-500 + return. And if something goes wrong, well it's easier to get fixed ect than sending it overseas.

- My past experiences. 

who did you use for the boring and plating? I don't think it would cost just as much I think you would save about 1 grand even at 500 bucks postage which It wouldn't be your still 800 dollars better off. If there are businesses here doing obviously its a better proposition. Has anyone had problems with work done by electrosil?

I didn't get cylinder work, this was for my head. i was looking at getting it sent oversease to get it built ect. I ended up buying a a head and getting it built from the states and postage was $350. communication is harder, it takes longer ect. It's easier getting it done in aus. 

I just don't see it worth sending it up and back.  

Did some reading, mostly bike engines though. For them it's cheaper getting it done in the states as they all say electrosil are just to expensive. But it's cheaper for them as the package is smaller.

Also mixed opinions with them with workman ship.

Weight up your costs, and your time. 

Check delivery costs too. USPS is cheapest to deliver to aus from the states. i got a package with in 5 days from there, received it today. AUS post didn't take long to send it over. but when it gets heavy, it starts costing. 

Archived