Buying a 1999/1998 996 ...

torque124

Hello all

My first post here, I am a car enthusiast for sure :)

I currently drive an M3, but I am really set on buying a Carrera 996 as my next car, I love these cars. It would be a dream come true...

I am actually scared of the stories I read online of IMS and RMS and complete engine failure due to engine block porosity from factory.

If I do a complete or comprehensive inspection with, say Porsche in Sydney ( do they do this ? ) would they be able to assess with any kind of certainty if the car is or will be affected by the failures?

Will the service history mention if Main seal or any other failing components have been replaced ?

I am terrified of a said failure, especially as these cars, being old, don't have warranty of any kind ( maybe purchase an extended warranty from the dealer ? I had bad experience with them in the past, but maybe with a Porsche is necessary ?). This is more so as I would be making a financial effort to buy this car, I am by no means rich or loaded and able to dash 15k on a new engine if it happens...

My preference would be a coupe C2 (no 4WD for me, thanks ) manual; although I would jump into a convertible too if I can't find a coupe in good nick . It seems there are more convertibles out there.

Oh, and I am from Melbourne, I mentioned Sydney as it seems most of 996's are in Sydney for some reason.

Many thanks for any advice.

Torque

Hi Torque,

It is good to have all of this info prior to making a purchase. That way you can make a rational, measured decision. With myself, I new of some of the engine failures so did a lot of research prior to buying. The information I got helped me make a decision that I was comfortable with. I wanted a Cabriolet, so for me, 996 was the by far the first option (couldn't afford 997 at the time). It came down to the design and in particular the way the roof folded away rather sitting high up above the back seats in earlier models. That said I had to weigh up the risk of an engine rebuild. All info I had at the time suggested under 10% of cars seemed to be effected. This recent Total 911 article talks of 5%. True, you would have to be unlucky, but being a conservative you have to think of the slim possibility of this happening. When I bought my car I also tucked some cash away (almost treated it as part of the purchase) just in case I needed to call on it at a later date. I have tipped into this 'fighting fund' every month as a 'just in case'. I have had the car 4 years and have had a magnificent run with it. Scheduled servicing only with the odd small repair (broken bonnet latch...etc) just to keep it up to scratch. Although my car has never has an RMS issue either rear main seals are more common but do not cause anything major. They are just a bit of a pain. Owners will generally put up with it if it does happen until you replace a clutch then do it at the same time.

With any luck my 'fighting fund' never needs to be called on and soon enough It will contain enough to buy another 911 (if my wife reads this I'm all over).

My honest opinion is that you would be very unlucky, but it could happen, it does for 1 in 20 cars. Ask yourself, are you in a position to cover this if it does occur. If not it would seriously ruin your day.

Regards,

Andy S

• 2 months later...

Hello all

My first post here, I am a car enthusiast for sure :)

I currently drive an M3, but I am really set on buying a Carrera 996 as my next car, I love these cars. It would be a dream come true...

I am actually scared of the stories I read online of IMS and RMS and complete engine failure due to engine block porosity from factory.

If I do a complete or comprehensive inspection with, say Porsche in Sydney ( do they do this ? ) would they be able to assess with any kind of certainty if the car is or will be affected by the failures?

Will the service history mention if Main seal or any other failing components have been replaced ?

I am terrified of a said failure, especially as these cars, being old, don't have warranty of any kind ( maybe purchase an extended warranty from the dealer ? I had bad experience with them in the past, but maybe with a Porsche is necessary ?). This is more so as I would be making a financial effort to buy this car, I am by no means rich or loaded and able to dash 15k on a new engine if it happens...

My preference would be a coupe C2 (no 4WD for me, thanks ) manual; although I would jump into a convertible too if I can't find a coupe in good nick . It seems there are more convertibles out there.

Oh, and I am from Melbourne, I mentioned Sydney as it seems most of 996's are in Sydney for some reason.

Many thanks for any advice.

Torque

I just traded my 911 996 manual with 42,000klms on it. I had all the history since it was new & it never missed a beat. It is at http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/PORSCHE/911/Sydney/detail.aspx?id=19505062&lid=19505062&pg=1&pp=1&d=0&SG=-877017314&pt=1 if your looking for a genuine 996 then have a look. I have no financial or personal interest with the dealer. I traded the car on a new 997 C4 with Porsche Centre Sydney South & they wholesaled it.

let me know if you would like any extra info, hate to see a good car wanting for a new home.

Archived