momentary loss of power

black911

My 40,000K 1989 3.2 is currently experiencing a momentary loss of power when driving in the hills or freeway, but only after about an hours hard driving. Initially it was intermitten but lately its occuring more frequency toward the end of the runs.

Friends travelling behind can see the car omit a puff of black smoke when this occurs, from unburnt fuel. It occurs with even at steady freeway speed and no accelerating.

The unusualy thing is the car drives normally and without a fuss in suburban traffic.

I googled various Porsche forums to find similar problems “may” be associated with either a DME relay or Cylinder Head Temp sensor fault. My uneducated guess is the Cylinder Head Temp sensor because it only happens after a long hard run.

Regards

Ame

• 2 weeks later...

A few things to look at.....

Try a new DME relay first, also oxygen sensor, idle position sensor switch.

Tech bulletin here also worth a look - http://www.ciborg.net/share/tsb%20wire%20harness.pdf

Good luck!

Hi

Last week I took the 911 in for it's 40,000km major service at Buik Motorwork in Adelaide. I gave Mark Buik the background on my "momentary loss of power" and he advised the problem was more than likely the NTC temp sensor in the head.

The sensor fails, telling the engine it is very cold, when it is not and it dumps a heap of fuel in it.

Hence the black smoke and loss of power.

Mark is Porsche factory trained and recalls the faulty sensor being more common back in the late 80s early 90s, when most 3.2 911s had done around 40,000km.

I'm over in Melbourne to watch the F1s this weekend, so I'll have to wait until the following week to test if the problem has been fixed.

Thanks to both forum member, (Frank 964 & Cam Arnott)

Regards

Ame

• 1 year later...

Thought it appropriate I provide feedback to my original post.

Well its been a year and some 2000 ks later and my 1989 3.2 Carrera has run faultlessly since the NTC temp sensor was replaced.

By the way NTC stand for negative temperature coefficient

Archived