Blind Spot Blues

Stepo

Shortly after moving from a large family car into my 3.2 daily driver, I noticed there were several occasions over the first 3 months when I had to lean on the horn to let someone in the next lane know I was there. Over the last 4 years, I have been surprised just how many times this has happened and thought I would post a comment after another close call this morning.

I suppose this is the case with all small cars. I'm conscious of sticking to the left if not overtaking and tend to accelerate past other vehicles rather than linger on their side with a view to limiting the occurrence. Black car probably doesn't help.

Other things I've had to get used to are:

- enter driveways at 45 degrees for anything over 75mm incline. Learnt that the hard way, lip spoiler still cracked.

- (if you need to go) park 200m from shopping centre entrances, and yes, there's always someone parked next to you when you return.

- 911 pedal positions took a bit of getting used to.

- and the big one that never stops bringing a smile, owning a car that corners like a dream.

Cheers,

Stepo

Hi Stepo

I can definitely relate to your traffic woes.

Driving a 911 in traffic is no fun, looking out the side windows and seeing other cars door handles and wheel nuts does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling. (my other car is a VW T5 Transporter so the seat height difference is a little noticeable)

I too have had cars merging on me by surprise and I am never thrilled to have some specimen tailgate me when I'm doing the speed limit. :blink:

There is rarely an outing when some mentally deficient individual feels the need to drag me off from the lights in their rice burning biscuit tin when all I want to do is get from point A to point B in one piece. :mellow:

The shopping centre car park is always a classic, parking away from the maddening crowd only to later find my car to be a s**tbox magnet. :lol:

Aaah yes, the joys of motoring :)

Thanks for your feedback guys.

You had me in tears Frank with the "s**tbox magnet" comment.

Red, I agree with the US forum comments re not parking your ride way out on its own so it sticks out and almost asks for trouble. With the cars being fairly narrow, an end park right to the side gives you some door bashing room.

I can appreciate how risky it can be on a bike Wobbly. Car came with a rorty exhaust when purchased (4" Monty muffler) which sounded great, but almost made my ears bleed, especially high gear up hills or coasting. Wanted to keep it so much that I lined the whole interior with Dynamat (thin aluminium lined bitumen matting) and double foam insulated the rear seat. Even with all that, still think I was getting a headache, so went back to a standard stainless steel OEM sports muffler. Dynamat has greatly reduced road noise and improved the stereo sound, so not a total waste of time.

Stepo

Archived