356 1962

geoman

Hi

Just wondering if someone could help

I just received my 356 from victora yesterday and spent awhile looking for the button to open the rear engine and front compartment.

Does anyone know how i do this?

It seems i have a 2nd key slot under the passenger side glove box but there is a key snapped inside it. Does this open the engine?

thanks

I did a quick google search and found this (keep in mind it's American so they drive on the other side)

Left hand corner, under the dash, at about knee level is a large knob, pointing directly forwards (if you have a 356A, there is a similar knob just ahead of the front edge of the door, that's not IT. that opens the ventilation vents, it faces more leftwards than forwards.)

Pull that, it should move back about an inch or so. If the front hood does not open, get someone to give it an upwards pull on the hood handle. Most would open. Still doesnt, check below the left front fender just behind the headlamps, most cars would have an emergency wire rigged up to open the hood in case the cable that opens from within the car snaps. (356Cs have a locking mechanism that automatically opens when that cable snaps, brilliant design).

To open the engine lid, a similar knob facing rearwards situated in a metal tube that runs along the left side of the left rear seat. Again if it doesnt open, get someone to help yank it upwards by lifting on the ventillation grills. If it still refuses to open, the grills can be removed by removing the screws that hold it to the opening. The locking mechanism can then be accessed.

Did you look at the engine bay and check the battery box floor for rust before you bought the car? If you did, then it must be be able to be opened.

Archived