Bathurst Motor Festival

myred911

Greetings fellow P fans.

I had in mind for a while a run to Bathurst to check out the Bathurst Motor Festival. Many PCV members ran in the FoSC event last year and thoroughly enjoyed being very nervous down Conrod straight for the first time. I did that event last year in my SC. This time I saddled up the S2, took my trusty Nikon and headed to the Mount on Good Friday (pun intended).

The traffic up the "fume" was OK really, gradually thinning the further north I travelled. After a kip in Cootamundra with a feed at the local RSL club, I was in Bathurst by 09:30 Saturday to watch the events unfold.

I found a handful of PCV cars competing, but most entries were from NSW. Saw some great racing ( Commodore Cup and Aussie Racing cars are so competitive. The Porsche event was technically a regularity but mostly this was ignored until a local GT3 circulated under 2:40 and was warned with a black flag.

The meeting finished Sunday pm so I headed south to Goulburn - Warning to all - avoid this route at all costs. It looks OK on the map but is in reality a goat track with gravel, potholes and dust. Overnight in Goulburn then south again via Queanbeyan and Cooma - you guessed it via that secret route to Orbost. An extraordinary stretch of road with few cars, a few motorbikes and 100km of tight road ahead. Certainly keeps the driving skills sharp.

The traffic was pretty ordinary west from Orbost, eventually becoming bloody awful as the road detoured through Morwell.

Well worth a look again, this time heading north from Orbost.

Here are some shots to remind us Bathurst is still a magic place.

Cheers

rEd

Hi Doug,

Good idea for 2012. Just have to wait and see what event is set for Easter 2012.

If we do make the pilgrimage, best to organise accommodation well in advance. In this instance the place was pretty well booked out. I found a local pub with a spare room (very cheap & very ordinary) but at least the shower was good. Had to put up with a disco until 1am and bright lights.

It all added to the experience.

rEd

Archived