VarioCam details

Orion03

As part of my search for why my car idles badly and misfires occastionally when idling, the hydraulic lifters have been mentioned as a possible problem.

Looking at the VarioCAM details:

variocam_plus.jpg

it's been suggested to me that that extra little lifter in the middle of the big lifter might be sticking up, hence causing the car to not idle properly until it comes down again.

Rennlist guys have also mentioned this as a possible error point.

Now, does anyone know what RPM this extra lifter comes into play?

I am thinking it's a low rpm run one lobe, higher rpm other lobe gets used thing.

Am I right of wrong?

Cheers all.

3K RPM to 3.2K RPM.  Thu I can not remember where I have seen this.

I also remember the durametric tool can report the state of virocam.  I need to dust it off and try it.  I have rough Idle as well and will try to diagnose the cause when I get some fee time.

well I've gone to autobarn, bought some sticky lifters cleaning stuff and chucked it into the engine, lets see if that helps.

Lots of moving hydraulic parts in there.... maybe some sludge just gumming up the works?

Anyway car is at the mechanic atm, water pump getting changed, sparks plugs change while they are under there.

cross fingers my car will idle after this.

so far so good, new plugs + coils + sticky lifter cleaner = very smooth idle

Also cured the occasional problem I had, which was after I've revved the engine hard.. the idle was lumpy.

so maybe it was the variocam lifters playing a part in my bad idle.

cross fingers it's all going to be fine for a while.

Archived