ADRs Side intrusion / Impact bars / importing

IrisBlau

Hi all

Im looking to import a 911 SC or 3.2 pre 1989 porker.

My only concern is the side intrusion bars as specified by the ADRs compliance regulations.

I read on another thread these are possibly fitted as standard to all targas and convertibles of this age.

Can anyone confirm this?

What is the worst case if they are not fitted. I see a lot of people just have them professionaly welded or riveted in. Is there room in the SC doors?

Many thanks.

Ed.

Hi all

My only concern is the side intrusion bars as specified by the ADRs compliance regulations.

I read on another thread these are possibly fitted as standard to all targas and convertibles of this age.

Can anyone confirm this?

What is the worst case if they are not fitted. I see a lot of people just have them professionaly welded or riveted in. Is there room in the SC doors?

Many thanks.

Ed.

Ed

I imported a 1987 Carrera S cabrio. It had side intrusion bars fitted. I was advised that this was standard.

The engineer doing the ADR compliance visually inspected them.

I did have a an engineers certificate to show that the bars met ADR a contact who imported a similar vehicle. This assisted in my compliance.

I am not sure about SC versions.

Mike

Hi all

Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

I imported an 81 SC Coupe from the UK. It had intrusion bars already fitted. Think anything from UK is fine. Just need to replace seat belts.

Thanks guys.

One more question, in the image is that a compressor for air conditioning? The device driven off the main fan???

I see it on some engines but not on others, presume its for the a/c.

I know there are issues when bringing a/c cars into this country.

Cheers

Ed.post-583-131652082645_thumb.jpeg

Ed,

I'm more than happy to share my journey on importing a pre 89 car - just drop me a PM.

I've also attached a scan of the article from Feb's 911 & Porsche World that featured the car I bought and imported.

Regards

Rob

post-396-131666245447_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

It depends on where the cars were delivered...I bought an Hong Kong delivered 85 911 Targa, that had been in the country for 10 years registered in Perth. On bringing it to Sydney, the RTA rquired the car to be engineered, and it was then I found out the hard way it didnt have intrusion bars fitted.

My first horror story was being told I would have to have them welded in, damaging the paint on each side and requiring an almost full respray...just to make rego. I soon found out Zags Automotive can do it for $250 a door and not cause any damage whatsoever to the paint work. I had it done, passed engineering and rego and am now a happy camper!

Hi Ed,

It depends on where the cars were delivered...I bought an Hong Kong delivered 85 911 Targa, that had been in the country for 10 years registered in Perth. On bringing it to Sydney, the RTA rquired the car to be engineered, and it was then I found out the hard way it didnt have intrusion bars fitted.

My first horror story was being told I would have to have them welded in, damaging the paint on each side and requiring an almost full respray...just to make rego. I soon found out Zags Automotive can do it for $250 a door and not cause any damage whatsoever to the paint work. I had it done, passed engineering and rego and am now a happy camper!

Thats an interesting story Rob, I heard a horror story the other day about a friend of a friend who imported a recent ferrari only to find it didnt have the impact bars. I was told he had to buy original doors from Ferrari themselves (with the bars) at great expense.

Couldnt believe it myself.

But it has put my mind at rest. Its not the end of the world if they are not fitted.

Ed

Sounds like the incredibly cheap and immaculate Lotus Esprit that was at the engineers when I was getting my car certified. It was bought in from the UK for a bargain at AUD$23000 but sadly it too didnt have intrusion bars. However as the doors were so narrow in parts he was looking at $4000 per door to get sorted...ouch

Sounds like the incredibly cheap and immaculate Lotus Esprit that was at the engineers when I was getting my car certified. It was bought in from the UK for a bargain at AUD$23000 but sadly it too didnt have intrusion bars. However as the doors were so narrow in parts he was looking at $4000 per door to get sorted...ouch

If it was pre 1981 then s/he should put it on historic rego. Then none of this matters. Im planning to do the same with an SC. Historic rego is something like $150 bucks a year if I remember correctly. That includes green slip. Yes there are restrictions, but as long as you are not expecting to use the car as a daily drive its very manageable

Ed.

Archived