Break-in a Porsche virgin

MatthewM

Hey there!

I'm now in a position to buy a Porsche 911 as a weekend ride to replace my AW11 Toyota MR2, or maybe in addition to, as I am still quite fond of it, and would get a very small amount of money for the car.

I'm looking towards an mid-80's or newer air-cooled 911.

Before I take the plunge and spend my hard earned cash on one, I was wondering if someone would be willing to volunteer their time to take me for a ride in their Porsche 911, so I can understand how the car feels on the road, what it sounds like, see the ergonomics in action, get an idea of the quirks of ownership, and so on. I want to find out if owning one would be better left a fantasy, and buy something else...

I'm in the Ryde & Kiama area, if anyone lives close by and could spare part of their afternoon one day, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've got a few questions also:

• I'll be storing the car under a carport, but exposed to ocean air near the coast. How prone are 993-and-earlier Porsches to rust?
  • What year did Porsche 911's get EFI?
  • What year did Porsche 911's get ABS?
  • Are they noisy inside the cabin at freeway speeds?
  • How much can you fit in the frunk, or front boot? A backpack and couple of bags of groceries?
  • Where should I look to buy, this forum, any other suggestions?

Cheers, and thanks!

I'll be storing the car under a carport, but exposed to ocean air near the coast. How prone are 993-and-earlier Porsches to rust?

What year did Porsche 911's get EFI?

What year did Porsche 911's get ABS?

Are they noisy inside the cabin at freeway speeds?

How much can you fit in the frunk, or front boot? A backpack and couple of bags of groceries?

Where should I look to buy, this forum, any other suggestions?

Galvanised bodies on SCs and onward so the ones you are looking at buying aren't as prone to rust as earlier models

EFI - from SC onward again (I think, someone correct me if I am wrong here), the Bosch system in the Carrera 3.2 is believed to be more reliable and cheaper to maintain/fix

ABS first introduced on the 964 (late 1989 onward)

My newly acquired Carrera 3.2 is quite noisy - no sound deadening under the carpet, wind noise around A pillar, engine noise, suspension noise (stiffer bushes), tyre noise, etc

Backpack and few bags sounds about right

Look everywhere - carsales, forums, Porsche club websites, etc. You may consider importing a car from the UK in which case Pistonheads and Autotrader websites may be a good starting point.

If you get the opportunity, come to the Porsche event this Sunday at Olympic Park (it'll be worth the drive). www.pcnsw.com.au

There you'll be able to compare all the different early 911 models and talk through all of the different purchase and ownership experiences with others.

Regards

Rob

Archived