Porsche 911 2.8 RSR Front Guards

Hi folks,

I had been going down the path to back date my 74 but have now decided to change tack and keep it in its original general body shape to avoid having to butcher the car.  As a result I have for sale a set of 2.8 RSR/ST style front guards which I'd like to move on so I can fund some short nose guards to replace them.

These are, I believe, fairly rare.  They are original steel long nose guards with fibreglass extensions.  They look to have been originally glassed back in the early 70's (I'm guessing), based on both the condition of the glass, the repairs required, as well as the profile of the guard itself. As can be seen in the photos they appear to follow the original RSR profile (as typical as it could be) which has a flatter top side profile with almost an upward kick as well as having less flare where the end of the guards meet where the front chin spoiler would finish. This contrasts against the turbo style which is more rounded and flares out to accommodate a wider front spoiler.

When I first got these the glass was delaminating around where they attached to the steel of the guards, indicating rust underneath. After having them sit in the shed the last few years I had these repaired just recently to make them good, which involved grinding back the delaminating glass (about a 3 inch strip), grinding out the rust that was found underneath and then applying rust converter, sealing them and then repairing the glass where it joined the steel of the guard. As much of the original fibreglass was left intact, including the main profile of the extensions. The guards were then reinforced on the back and sealed, and the outsides primed in a light grey 2-pack primer.

Overall these guards should now be in good condition.  There was some rust damage underneath them in areas such as the base of the fuel filler which has been made as good as possible, however these are not concourse and would require a bit more metal work to get them there. I've taken the path of trying to make them good whilst maintaining as much of their originality as possible.  I don't have any specific history of these guards (they were literally a barn find) however it's quite likely they were used in competition in the 70's. If you have turbo rear guards these probably won't suit, as the profile of the guards between the RSR is different (turbo being more rounded).  If you need original profile guards to suit ST/RSR style rear guards then these will be something fairly desirable I'd say. I'd recommend these to be fitted and checked for any tweaking required before painting.

Chasing $2,750 for the pair, which is I think a fair price given their rarity and allowing for their condition.  Would also look at a potential trade scenario for a set of turbo style guards in steel.

Inspection welcome (and encouraged) in the south east of Melbourne (Beaumaris).

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6624.jpgIMG_6614.jpgIMG_6607.jpgIMG_6613.jpgIMG_6615.jpgIMG_6610.jpgIMG_6612.jpgIMG_6622.jpg

For reference, here are a couple of pics of the difference in side profile between the 930 (which has the rounder, more consistent profile) and the more flat shape of the earlier RSR and ST profiles. I've found it hard to find any exact specs on the early profile, as it appears they were effectively beaten by hand originally by the factory and so the replications of these have similarly followed suit in being less than 100% consistent.  However the difference from the later turbo guards is fairly evident.

930: MO15_r194_005.jpg

RSR: porsche-911-rsr.2000x1244.Jan-12-2012_11

• 1 month later...

Archived