996.2 Space Saver 17''/18" alternatives

I feel a bit dumb asking this question, but here goes....my recently purchased '03 996.2 targa was missing a spare/emergency/space saver wheel which should come in a cover with tool kit etc. My car runs 18" carrera classic alloys, so I thought I'd source a second hand space saver but all the ones I've found are 17". So my question is...can I run a 17"emergency space saver wheel on the same axle as an 18" wheel, albeit for a very short distance to get puncture fixed or replaced. Even if I found an 18" space saver, I doubt if it will fit in the boot - so maybe the solution is to have a can of tyre sealant in case of puncture, but I believe these are quite destructive to the tyre anyway? I seem to recall that neither my 987 Boxster S nor 997 C2s had a spare, just a compressor, so I appreciate your experiences with spares and alternatives.

The 996 comes with an inflatable spare I believe, so the wheel size is not that important but the overall tyre size is (when inflated). My 928 has 16 inch wheels but the spare is 15 inch and inflates to the correct diameter.

Congrats on your new purchase too :)

Thanks ANF - of course, so simple. The optional wheels with 225x40x18 are the same diameter as the standard 205x50x17 so a 17" space saver when inflated will get me out of trouble if I have a puncture. Your explanation is very much appreciated and thanks for the Porsche new car welcome - here's a photo of a possible new 928?

New 928?.jpg

You are welcome.

Ah, the continual possible new 928, the rumour that will not die. Apparently the Panamera may spin off a 2 door variant. Disguised prototypes have been spotted, all a bit vague yet.....

Archived