996 - servicing intervals

Ten Degrees

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on the hunt for a 996. Interested to know about the service intervals, records, etc.

Most cars I have looked at have Porsche service history, but because in some cases the km's are low, the servicing has been down on km count alone and not time. I thought the cars are to be serviced every 2 years regardless of whether they are driven or not.

Is this true?

And what would it mean if a car has been sitting around for 3 years without a service?

Also, if the services were all done by a Porsche centre, do they have a history on the car? And if so, how do you go about getting it?

I really want to make sure I get this right.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Gee a car that hasn't been serviced in 3 years regardless of how many km it has done I would be very suspicious of. I average about 1400km per year in my car and have it serviced religously every 12 months and that is what I would expect to be the norm no matter what model it is. It suggests to me that the owners are skimping on maintenance. Not wise with these cars....

Look for one with a good regular service history would be my recommendation...

Good luck and keep us informed as to how you go....

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So I thought the recommended interval (by Porsche) for a car that has done no km's, is 2 years? What do they do in that service. What's likely to happen in a year?

And if the car was purchased and serviced it's entire life at one dealership, can I get the history??

Tim

Hi Tim,

Oil degrades over time, its the life blood of these motors, even when not in use. Contaminants inside the motor will mix with it like unburnt fuel etc. If I have a bottle of top up oil that I have opened and not used completely in a twelve month period I throw it away and buy a new one. Its probably being really careful but gee, maintenance is basically insurance and I wouldnt drive a car uninsured either.

I am certainly no expert, we do have some very knowledgeable people on the forum that know far more than me, but thats just my opinion for whats its worth, probably not much.... :)

Why dont you contact the dealer that has serviced the car and have a talk to them about it. You might find out some interesting info. this is what I did when I bought mine.

So good luck with it and hope it works out.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Tim,

Agree with Chris on this one. Mine does very little work (13,000 in 5 years) and I change the oil / filter etc every 12 months give or take a couple of months.

Not sure sure what official recommendations are but I always good to err on the side of caution.

Regards and good luck with the hunt.

Archived